Keeping house cool

I'm concious of the fact that a hot, dry summer is just around the corner..

In previous years we have had trouble keeping the house cool enough, so I'm trying to prepare well in advance. (In other words if more fans are needed, for example, I'd like to buy them before they sell out, etc)

I had a thought last night as well. Much as I hate them, would net curtains help? Perhaps they'd reflect some of the sunlight whilst still allowing ventillation during the day?

Any other tips on preparing for a hot summer?

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Draw your thick curtains across any south facing windows and open windows and doors.

Beats fans.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As much insulation in the loft as you can get. Thermal shutters. Awnings.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

An old white sheet across the *outside* of the window, or install proper external blinds.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I don't think nets do much, but drawing curtains to reduce solar gain when windows get direct sun certainly helps. Exterior shutters would be even better.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think nets are really terrific for windows. My house is in a nice, quiet location but several of our neighbors, as a matter of course, walk within a few feet of our bedroom window, which is on the ground floor. Consequently we have net curtains up there. I understand that the previous occupants here were very fashion conscious and felt unable to resort to nets. The story goes that often, when people were passing the window the bedded residents could be seen squirming and moaning with embarrassment at being observed. At least, that's what I think they were doing.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I like a person with a sense of humour. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Done the thing with the curtains. Tried windows opened and closed. Tried fans. Tried LOTS of fans. Shutters not really practical.

Is "solar film" any good?

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

In very hot countries, like the middle East, they build a free standing wall on the sunny side of the house, the full width and height of the property, with a gap for air to circulate. That keeps radiant heat off the house wall. That could be a fun weekend project (but apply for planning perm. first).

john2

Reply to
john

Why, I wonder, is your experience so different from others' ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

may geve some clues (heavy reading). What is inside the window seems to have little effect. Shading and shutters a much greater effect. I extended the canopy over my garage door to shade the lounge window as well. It has reduced the solar gain in summer, with little effect ehen the sun is low in the winter.

Reply to
<me9

The message from john contains these words:

I suppose if you knocked up something like a cricketing sight-screen you wouldn't need planning permission as it wouldn't be a permanent structure.

Reply to
Guy King

Get air conditioning!

Reply to
Gully Foyle

And add to the pollution which contributes to global warming!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Depends on the expectations I guess, and much depends on the house as well, which way the rooms face, the size of windows, the internal arrangement of the house etc.

you aren't going to stop the house getting warm, you re just going to reduce the temp a bit. Maybe you have just got the house to where it is going o go.

Reply to
chris French

*Big* windows, in a very sheltered but sunny spot, darn sarf.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

That prolly explains why curtains have had little effect.

Shutters/canopy would be a problem as there's nothing to attach them to. They'd also look silly.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

That is being considered.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Me having air con will make very little difference!

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

As others have experienced, drawing thick curtains prevents the sun from getting into the rooms. Simple and instananeous.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher