Keeping cool

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's baseball players have been banned from putting frozen cabbage leaves under their caps to beat the summer heat.

The Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) took action after Doosan Bears pitcher Park Myung-hwan's cap fell off during a game last weekend, revealing his secret cooling agent.

After an emergency meeting, KBO officials ruled that cabbage leaves are a distraction and cannot be considered part of the baseball uniform.

"Park has been using frozen cabbage to cool down since last summer, but we didn't know until now," KBO chief of referees Heo Koo-youn told Reuters Wednesday.

Dunno about cabbage leaves, but I've stuck a zip-lock sandwich bag partly filled with crushed ice underneath my hat, and it cooled for quite a long time. (Not recommended for bald men unless the ice bag is wrapped in a washcloth or sandwiched between two feed caps.)

Even better are the cool vests. I decided to buy one this year because of the excessive heat we had last summer. While they don't prevent sweating or being hot, they do prevent overheating. They contain about 4 lbs of phase change chemical which melts at 65 degrees. That makes the vest warm enough that the blood vessels don't constrict, and cool enough to keep the body core temperature down. They are expensive, but still a lot less expensive than the entire winter wardrobe I'd have to get if I moved north.

Reply to
hchickpea

EBIce makes a more expensive (~$250 vs $175) cooler with a 2'x2' flat flexible gadget filled with tubing for medical purposes. Wrap the gadget around some body part, eg a shoulder, put ice and water into the cooler, and a 22 W pump moves cold water out one hose to the gadget and back into the cooler through another, but it's hard to get a good thermal connection between the gadget and the body part without impeding blood circulation, and the pump has a cycle timer vs a temp control on the gadget, and you have to unplug yourself whenever you get up to walk around the room, and the cooler is only 6"x6"x10" inside.

We might improve this with a larger cooler and a $10 10W 1 gpm fountain pump and a 12" flat spiral of 1/4" tubing on top of some foamboard that sits on a chair under a person or on top of the cooler, under a person. It might have frozen 1-liter soda bottles floating in water instead of

1-pound $25 Cool Vest ice/gel packs, like the frugal fan in Toronto, but less wasteful of energy, since 32 F water is never discarded, and we are only cooling a person vs a whole room.

Then again, we have concrete chairs. And a B12 (12 ga 2x3 U-shape) Unistrut armchair with webs of closely-spaced struts touching a body and flanges facing away might be a good heat sink. We might use 150' of strut (about

400 pounds) with lots of 1/2" bolts and right-angle connectors.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

The mind boggles. Do you have pictures on the web someplace of these chairs?

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer