Jumping kettle

I am not a physicist. So I'm not sure...

Isn't the temperature a function of the kinetic energy of the atoms, not their speed? Which would mean that to get deuterated water to 100C would take the same energy as light water?

It wouldn't quite be boiling, but that's minor.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The specific heat of D2O /is/ higher than that of H2O[1]. But my explanation was flippant. The full effects of the different nuclei depend on the quantummechnaic effects on OH bonds. Once up on a time I might have busked an explanation but no more, no more.

[1]
Robin

Where:

suggests it takes more energy per kg for D2O to rise in temperature it implies it might be velocity that determines temperature?

Reply to
Fredxx

Nicely put. As Fermat might have said, there is not enough room in this margin.

Reply to
newshound