Joining TV coax

That would be my preferred way of joining. I would also wrap in self amalgamating tape. You need to stretch the tape as you wind it around the connection.

alan_m

They do exist - but the easiest way to find them is to catch a unicorn or a hen with teeth, and they will show you where you can get them.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The skill with a Belling Lee coax connector was applying enough heat to get the solder to flow without melting the plastic which seems to have a melting point of a few degrees above ambient :)

Reply to
alan_m

Indeed.

But in many professional installations, no soldering was done, and the coax inner was simply poked through the pin. In REALLY professional installations, the coax inner was critically kinked before it was poked through the pin - thus infinitely increasing the chances of it actually making a satisfactory contact.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

and how to fit them? I can manage a screw-on F-type male (sometimes even before I have to start repeating my curses) but I struggle to see how a female could be anywhere near so simple and safe.

Reply to
Robin

Can't think that the WD40 does much apart from making it harder to start the SA tape. Had joints wrapped in SA tape outside for about 15 years without WD40 and like yours as bright and as clean as they day they were wrapped.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Where is Maplin when you need them! RS or Rapid should have them but minimum order charges apply so no use unless you need a bunch of stuff.

Martin Brown

It just helps to 'kill' any moisture that might get in - or was there in the first place.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No! That is Belling lee style coax female!

For joining two F cmale connectors together you need one of these:

Note that is a pack of 10 but is considerably cheaper than a pack of two from Wickes (same owner!)

If you just need one, you might do better at a diy shop or, if you bump into a VM or satellite instal crew, you might get one for nothing!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Until one day you don't.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No forget it. They're a nuisance.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Round here the pro installers seem to use elaborately spaced patterns of insulating tape, presumably so they can differentiate their own f*ck-ups from competitors' f*ck-ups without breaking out the ladders?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe not. Securing (especially foam or semi-airspaced) coax with tape, cable ties, clips can cause slight crushing. This makes the cable very slightly capacitive at these points, and if it is done at regular intervals, each slight mismatch can add up and cause a suckout. So maybe the professionals are simply demonstrating their 'professionalism' by avoiding even the slightest possibility of the performance of their installation being impaired?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Ordinary heat shrink isn't waterproof. You need glue lined for that.

But self amalgamating tape is the normal way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can improve the performance in that respect a bit if you shave off some shards of glue stick and poke em up into the sleeving each end before you heat it. that then fills and consolidates it at the end and seals it to the wires.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd prefer to stick to F-type connectors as I feel they make a more positive connection.

I'll go with my usual method mentioned in the OP; thanks everyone for the discussion.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Nah.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I know no better way than two f-types and a barrel connector. that one you linked to will be lossy and it's plastic so isn't even screened. Awful thing!

Reply to
Graham.