Joining Osma to floplast gutters

I have Osma gutters and the hopper+downpipe are on my side of the boundary. Neighbour has ?floplast gutters which are larger than Osma gutters so the bloke who replaced the neighbours gutters just cut a chunk out of the top line of the gutter and forced it into my hopper then tried to seal it with something that has set rock hard. Years later it drips when it rains so now I need to fix it before the Autumn storms arrive.

The Osma gutter sits comfortably inside the floplast gutter so I think a short stub of Osma gutter, projecting over the boundary fence and inside the neighbours gutter should do the trick after trimming an inch off the floplast gutter to keep it away from the hopper.

The issue is what is a suitable adhesive for joining uPVC ?. Can ordinary solvent weld adhesive be used bearing in mind this is south facing ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

If you need any gap filling at all you are probably better off either with a non-setting mastic or with good quality silicone (from a cartridge).

Reply to
newshound

I don't see how this could be done without it dripping on theorised though. The problem with plastic gutters seems to be as they creak and grown in the sun, anything rock hard will, in time fracture. It may well be that in the end its just a job that needs redoing every few years. Its a great pity that whoever did the last job did not know enough about the adjoining gutter to match its profile Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Is there not a company that is to guttering what McAlpine is to waste pipes (i.e. they more or less can join any to any)?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you look at the Floplast website they have a compatibility list because everything is supposed to comply with EN 12200. There are about

6 manufacturers and their gutters and 65mm square downpipes and fittings should be all interchangeable. This is sort-of borne out in practice but a Brett Martin offset bend might be a tight fit on a Floplast pipe but not vice-versa. An Osma hopper will plug into a Brett Martin offset bend to take the water under the soffit but only by using the offset bend 'upside down'.

The compatibility chart shows Osma to be totally incompatible, which is sort of true unless you are prepared to do some surgery and joining Osma to an EN 12200 gutter is a problem.

Since kitchen waste pipe is mUPVC and joined using solvent cement, I would have assumed that same stuff should 'weld' two sections of uPVC gutter, where they overlap by 6 inches, the smaller Osma gutter lying inside the Floplast EN12200 gutter.

Reply to
Andrew