Join out-building to main house

Hi,

I currently have a detached out-building in my back garden. I'd like to join this to the main house, and use it as an extension to the kitchen. The out-building is about 1 metre away from the house, and is built of brick, and has windows and a door.

Does anyone what the requiements are with regards to planning permission and building regs? Are these req'd?

joecool2000

Reply to
joecool2000

The main criteria for conversions like this is insulation, both in the floor and walls, and also in the roof space, because it will become a 'habitable room' - the floor may be overlooked if it's impractical, but the walls will not, and neither will the ceiling...as I mentioned in a similar thread lower down, although his was very different, given that the roof of his outbuilding already extends to the house....if you do it without planning permission, you may have to put it back how it was when you come to sell the property, or knock the cost of putting it right off the asking price.

Reply to
Phil L

Start here

go and talk to your local council.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

TBH i'd want the correct paperwork because i'll be selling up within the next few years, and would like to keep it in place to add value onto the house. So it may be worth talking to my local council office.

Thanks,

joecool2000

Reply to
joecool2000

Thanks Peter, will have a look into this.

joecool2000

Reply to
joecool2000