"Detached garage" and Buiding Regs

I know that if I build a detached garage at the bottom of my garden I do not need to comply with Building regs, but I wish to building one next to my house.

If I attached it to the house I need to comply with building regs, which will be expensive as there is a large tree on the payment close to my house (as I live on the corner of two roads), meaning I will have to have expnesive foundations designed and dug.

To avoid this I was thinking of not attaching the garage to the house so as to avoid building regs altogther. If this is feasible what building reg criteria must I meet to be exempt?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

See Page 2 Class VI Item 1 of

do you *really* want to do this? The foundation requirements when close to trees are there for a good reason. If you ignore them, your garage will likely suffer from subsidence.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:45:28 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee named "Lawrence Zarb" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

IMHO, if you can get a Rizla paper between your garage and your house, it's detached. If it's detached, it's exempt if it's 1m from any boundary.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

But most BCOs may well consider it attached if there is a door from the garage into the house.

BTW, refering to Rizla paper is not helpful at this time of year with new year resolutions and stuff. 'Nicotine Patch' would be more appropriate. :o)

dg

Reply to
dg

Ah, I see you did the optional Estate Agency course :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain