Jigsaw recommendation please

I need a jigsaw for some general DIY jobs. I don't want something too expensive as it will be gathering dust most of the time. However I don't want to go for something cheap that will be difficult to use, or do a poor job.

I was hoping to spend no more than £50.00, if this is a realistic budget

What are the best options for me ?

I have had a look at the bosch range, but they vary greatly in price. They have a cheap one for less than 30 quid. (450 w I think) Has this model got serious limitations ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

TIA

Con

Reply to
Red Devil

Actually no. Just no variable speed control.

My 20 year old jigsaw finally died, and I got one of those.

Seems actually fine fr what I want.

If you want to do precision work, the lack of speed control is a slight problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bosch jig saws are pretty good - even the cheaper ones. It does depend on what you want to do and your expectations.

I originally had a fairly cheap Black and Decker and believed that all jigsaws tend not to produce very clean lines.

More recently I tried one of the Bosch professional jigsaws and eventually bought one (about £100). Compared to the B&D it's like chalk and cheese. The blade guides allow very clean cutting, and the speed control is very helpful.

If it is occasional use, then I think that you would find one of the green Bosch products pretty good. You may find that you have to cut a bit further out from the line and sand to correct shape as there may be a greater tendency for the blade to wander.

The critical elements are the blade guides and the speed control, and to some extent pendulum action.

There are other factors like quick blade change and built in blower that are nice, but you don't have to have , and depth of cut may or may not be a factor for you as is a tilting base (or not).

In the Bosch range, there is the PST750 for around £65 that could be worth a look.

As I say, though, and others have found the same, there's a big difference between these and the GST series.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall