Makita 4341FCT Jigsaw

OK, so I took the advice of those on this group who said that paying top whack for a quality jigsaw was worth it.

They were absolutely right. My new Makita arrived today and I've just tried it out. I have my doubts that it is of earthly origin.

Cuts 38mm worktop like it isn't there, square edge and virtually no break out, Incredible. Follows a straight line perfectly.

I regularly build comedy head choppers for other magicians. Main part is two pieces of 12mm ply with a circle cut out for the victims head. I used to cut these one at a time then use a jig & router to finish them. I can now cut two at once with a finish damn near as good as the router.

Worklight is great! Blade change is a real treat.

Reading the instructions it mentions that you can trim a cut edge by running the blade along it. I though they were having a laugh. Not so. It will trim off a sliver of wood as thin as the blade is.

I'm stunned by how good it is compared to the crap I've used before. Just unbelievable - worth every penny.

There are definitely 'jigsaws' & Real Jigsaws!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The term is...

There's Jigsaws and You have Jigsaws

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sounds brilliant! Just what I would like to replace el cheapo Bosch before I do the kitchen and 101 other jobs.

I haven't subscribed here for long, so I don't know about the past threads, without going through the tedious process of trawling through Google.

I am looking for a good jigsaw.

What is the Makita model number?

Sorry to probe, but actual recommendations mean a lot more to me than advertising blurb!

Thanks Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Erm! the number is in the subject line. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Duh!

Sorry! Senior moment!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

[snip]

Excellent.

Those who say there's no need to pay much for a jigsaw simply haven't tried a decent one, or never require accurate work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lawson have a good deal on these at the moment:

you have missed the background discussions, then have a quick look at the FAQ:

John Rumm

Nice aren't they? ;-)

smooth with a capital "smoo"!

Hey Phil, wan't to add this post to the FAQ?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. I have three at present, two here, one in Italy. The Bosch one is perfect, the two cheapies work on thin material, just but that's it.

Even using the same blades the different saws give different results. Worst of all is the B&Q cheapie. It will not cut a straight line, not even if I clamp a guide to the workpiece. The saw blade bends and wanders off a stright line even when the soleplate cannot move. The fault appears to be the blade holder which does not hold the blade parallel to the direction of the cut.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for both links John.

Now it is just a case of persuading my wife that I really need one!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Just tell her about how much you'll save by buying one.

Women are familiar with this line of argument in connection with clothes buying.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Forget the jigsaw, how does a comedy head chopper work?

Reply to
Matt

He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

Do you have a comedy head that you need to be chopped off?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Buy her one for her birthday... or your aniversary... then you can borrow it! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

As Andy says, if I told you I would have to kill you. However a magicians head chopper or guillotine usually looks like a 'prop'. Gloss black & red etc, very smooth looking. The blade is shown to chop a marrow/melon/whatever in half. The hapless victim then has his head placed in the apparatus, the blade decends apparently passing right through the victims neck without decapitating him.

These days it's usually played for laughs. Bucket placed beneath head, then moved to victims rear etc.

The comedy head chopper was designed by my mate Nathan. It looks like something a hill billy built whilst blind drunk.

should give you the idea. The victim is another mate Mark.

Not only does it look terrible, bits fall off all the time, but it works very well.

The photos show Nathan's prototype. The current production models are quite a bit different. It's a comedy magicians dream prop, full of opportunities for humour. Last one I built was for Joe Pasquale.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman