It pays to fix things quickly.

Back door catch was staying in after opening the door; putting the handle up forced it out (5-point locking). Stripped and cleaned it, operated it on the bench whilst looking all over it and spotted a grub screw by the latch part of the mechanism. It was just getatable in one position, tried it and it was a couple of turns undone and rubbing against the mech. Free after tightening. Those mechs. are complex and all rivetted together, so if the screw had dropped out...! £50-odd quid down.
Sorry - should have put OT.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 24/03/2020 13:18, PeterC wrote:

Seems pretty on topic to me. I'd probably have added some loctite too.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 21:20:02 +0000, newshound wrote:

Too oily/greasy and impossible to clean out. It would have been marginal for clearance to get out and probably not possible to align it to put in. Still, it's lasted 29 years-time when it first worked loose, so should outlast me be days/weeks/years (depending on another factor).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 24/03/2020 21:20, newshound wrote:

It's off topic this is a Brexit Coronavirus group!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:18:52 +0000, PeterC wrote:

The inner front fdoor in this house has what I think is the original door 'lock'. Key long gone, but the knob and catch still work (117 years).
It developed sideways play due to a lot of wear on the sliding bits. The catch kept sticking 'in'. I have no wish to replace it as it's a non standard size.
I ended up Aralditing two shims to either side of the inner case, to reduce the play. Good for another 50 years!
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 11:29:28 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

It's fairly easy to get keys cut for 1800s locks.
On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 19:29:43 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

(well, 1903 in this case)
Not really interested in a key as it would only lead to it getting locked at the wrong time! Thanks anyway.
I could probably make one easily enough if I needed it.