Samsonite suitcase: *forced* (when closing it) those lock/levers; how to fix?

I just went on a trip, and when I got there I couldn't pull out (swing out?) those two latch-things (that also have the key-hole on them).

And no, they weren't key-locked.

We *finally* got it open (two of us!) by looking at my other (identical) suitcase, peering in, and soon understood how the latching-mechanism worked (by sliding a hook (that grabbed the suitcase top-half): "locking" it (not really locking with key, but don't know a better word at 5am up-all-night) when shifting if one way, and un-hooking the other way.

(The pushing in and swinging out of those latches translates into the horizontal motion of the hooks.)

ANYway..., we finally got it open, by using all our strength by pushing the suitcase top-half one way (left or right, I forget), and the bottom half the other way, attempting to "slide the unfortunately-immovable hook" -- the HARD way!

Reply to
David Combs

David,

Kind of a long rant but I think you indicate that one of the latches has broken. Samsonite lists repair facilities on their web-site. Many luggage shops also will repair these as will some shoe repair shops. I don't know where you can buy just one latch for DIY but call around.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Sounds to me like you had the suitcase upside down. Samsonite uses a gravity catch to prevent opening the case upside down. If you would have flipped the case to the other side it would have opened.

Call around to luggage stores they can either repair it for you or advise you where to go. If you have no luck check out the used suitcases at thrift stores and see if you can either find another case that matches or one that has the same locks you can swap into your case.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks much to you two who responded.

Good advice -- I'll give it a try!