Is this bollocks?

There was once such a rule, but I think it was removed over 30 years ago. As far as I know there has been no restriction on adjacent sockets being connected to different phases in recent decades.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

On 13/12/2023 12:54, John Walliker wrote: <snip>

Yes. Came across that one by chance a few years back. The 14th Edition required all sockets in a room to be on the same phase or - if non-domestic premises where that's not possible - 6 feet separation. Became 2m on metrication. Omitted from 15th Edition in 1981 which just required labelling if risk of simultaneously touching >250V. Watered-down further now.

Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

At many of the cable TV headends I've been involved with, to balance the loading the racks of equipment were deliberately fed from different phases. In most cases, along each row of racks, each rack was clearly marked (in sequence) red, yellow and blue, The metalwork of the racks would have been bonded together. Obviously, in this sort of situation the power would have been from a dedicated high-current three-phase source, with a common neutral and earth.

Reply to
Ian Jackson