Is there such a person… who works as an independent arranger of house repairs/maintenance

… who works as an independent arranger of house repairs/maintenance? ie who can actually get decent people to quote and do a good job? I'm fed up with tradespeople turning up, saying they'll quote and then disappearing - happened recently with five in two weeks here in London for exterior work.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Business opportunity there, istm.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought that 10 years ago,there ws some trade search advertised on TV the other night, cant; remmebr the name though ....

Reply to
whisky-dave

There's a variation - a tradesman who does one thing (like decorating), and takes on larger projects, using other tradesmen he knows for things like plastering, roofing, etc. This is exactly how my parents got a load of work done some years back, and it worked well. You are only dealing with a single tradesmen, and he sorts out all the others, who he knows better than you, and who he's going to be using them over and over.

I also used one like this whose own trade is fitting double glazing, but he also takes on general building maintenance and has on call other trades (a brickie and a plasterer in my case). As a side line, he acted as a keyholder for several landlords, who had him organise maintenance and emergency repairs on their HMO lets.

The next step up (which my parents used for a loft extension) is to use the architect to supervise the build, decide when conditions are met for next staged payment, etc. I was half expecting lots of issues with lots of trades chipping in their bit, things done badly (as I often see the pros do), but I was very pleasantly surprised - every tradesman did a superb job, and it's difficult to find fault with anything they did. Some structural surveyors will take on this role too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Try your local council's approved "Trusted Tradesmen" type scheme, just drop in there and pick up the details, or phone them.

I expect others will have different experiences but I've used a few approved tradesmen registered on such a scheme and had no problems at all.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I wish there was, I have exactly the same problem. I keep hoping to find a 'property maintenance company' that is something a bit more than a letting agent who does the same with an extortionate markup. A really reliable tradesman/handyman who subcontracts a lot of the job would be ok if only I could find one. But the ideal would be more of a project manager/surveyor without the pretensions and fees of a 'profession'.

Reply to
djc

Yeah, but the person doing it would probably be round the bend and in the funny farm within 6 months, don't you think?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Trust a trader.com, note no spaces but it sounds daft unless I put them in. the snag with these is that f they seem to have to join it and of course they are only as good as the current load of contract workers they employ. I was going to say the name of the person you need is a builder, ie the guy who gets all the tradesmen in in the correct order on site to finish the building correctly an on time, but having a look around some areas here, it looks like most have the same problems as most sites seem mostly half finished and deserted!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We are fortunate to have in our village a plumber who is able to do bigger jobs. Because he's meticulous to a fault he'll only sub to people he knows do a good job. Project he's doing for us is moving and replacing the boiler, taking down old boiler chimney, making good the roof, completely redoing a bathroom/loo including replastering and replacing half the plumbing.

Trouble is even someone like that can have scheduling problems. He got the new plumbing/boiler/roof/replastering all done by end of Oct but we haven't seen him since.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com posted

Did you advertise these jobs at the job centre? If not, 99.999 per cent of the unemployed won't have known about them. Unless you expect them all to go round the entire country knocking on every single householder's door to ask if he wants any jobs done.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

I thought this was UK DIY news group?

Reply to
harry

Isn't such a person called a project manager? With the downturn in building projects there must be loads of em of out there. Such a person if they are any good and have a track record of being so will want paying the rates appropriate for such a task and that won't be cheap.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Ah - in agreement with Harry there