Is there a word for people who still post this...

On 14/03/2011 21:48, Ian Jackson wrote:

Don't all modern browsers let you google from the address bar or a search box, thus meaning you don't need to go to the home page first?
snipped-for-privacy@waitrose.com says...

Because a) it doesn't take more than a split second to load and b) the commonest place I want to go first is Google - which is why it's my home page.

much like they were saying:

Have you considered using a more modern browser? Search boxes have been ubiquitous for several years, so there's no need to go to a search engine's home page.
says...

It's personal taste - you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I have a search box - and sometimes I use it. Mostly, however, I prefer to use Google's home page.
For one thing I often find it quicker to search for pictures of what I'm after rather than pages. That's easier to handle from the main Google page.

much like they were saying:

You know you can install a Google Image search doofy in the box? Drop down from the right, image search tool, done.
says...

Yes - but it's no harder from the main page and it's right there in front of me, just as the search box is right there in front of me.
There really is no significant difference - just two ways to do the same thing.

Hint: you can do other thing besides search from the Google homepage.
MBQ

Funny, I have four places I want to go to straight away in the morning. I want to see the Alex cartoon on the Telegraph web site, I want to see the weather forecast for my postcode, I want to see the stock market overall situation (FTSE in particular), and I want to see the Beeb main news web site. So I have buttons for those.
So I've never understood the point of a homepage. Not that this appears to affect the millions of dumb Windows users whose home page seems to be Microsoft, or the outfit that built their PC, or whatever. They sit there and patiently wait for it to load, then go on to do something else.
--
Tim

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:31:50 +0000, Tim Streater

Exactly. I always set a blank page for my homepage. Zero load time on Firefox and Chrome or about 2 seconds spent 'connecting' on IE8

My homepage is located on my machine, so it loads instantly. On it are links to almost everything that I look at regularly. My homepage (which I generate from a spreadsheet) is used by all of my browsers and all of my machines, and even the machines of my friends. So when I'm using their machines, all the links are in the same position on thescreen. I can highly recommend this idea.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:31:50 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Google didn't until five years or so after my first dial-up internet account. Searching was "intersting" with WAIS and Gopher clients.

I have one but it's a file on my system so it isn't full of scripting crap and loads in the blink of an eye and has links to all the places I regulary visit.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Gopher's making a comeback ...
(See the Overbite plugin for Firefox ...)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 1st day of Discord in the YOLD 3177
Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.

Interesting, have been exploring the sadly depleted extent of gopherspace lately (and we won't ask what happened to Veronica). I've been thinking of running my text-based blog via a Gopher gateway, it's not much but it's a start.
Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:14:31 -0000, Skipweasel

<old man mode>Google (or even the web) did not exist when I had my first dial up</old man mode>
--
(\__/) M.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:15:27 +0000, Mark wrote:

Yes, I remember those days too. 2400 baud was so darn quick ;-)
Jules Richardson wrote:

75/300 and Prestel was my first experience of any 'public' service.
I do remember trying to get a megabytes worth of files from the USA over a 2400 dialled into the east coast, though.
Eventually took all might. 50k at a time.
dave wrote:

Same as for those that post "JFGI".
HTH. :-)
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I had to Google "JFGI". It would appear to mean "Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis". In certain circumstances, I think your 'HTH' might be in vain!
--
Ian

Ian Jackson wrote:

I first saw it used as an abbreviation for "Just F***ing Google It!", back in the days when AOL users first got access to Usenet. I've never seen it used for anything else until now.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 14/03/2011 13:08, dave wrote:

It has its own acronym - GIYF or even GIFFS