Can you make a honda GX engine quieter by adding a muffler?

Hello all I have a log splitter with a GX390 engine (13 HP) and its very noisey, was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to quiet the thing down?

Reply to
dean

Its a new engine, its no noisier than any other engine I have, but it would be nice for the neighbors if I could quiet it down a little. I'm open to other suggenstions, like could I cover it in an insulated box and blow a fan through, or something along those lines?

Reply to
dean

Relatively little of the noise is exhaust noise; going on a muffler hunt probably isn't going to be very satisfying.

Honda GX engines are some of the quietest single-cylinder small engines available. If it's newly noisy, I'd look for a cause; if it's as it's been since new, you've probably already got it pretty good.

Reply to
Bo Williams

You could--folks do--but I don't think it's a good idea. You're creating a lot of heat to deal with, and no fan solution will be nearly as good as open air. Plus, to be effective, anything you do is going to mean large openings in the enclosure, a powerful fan with noise of its own, or both, so how much net noise are you really going to cut?

It's almost certainly not as loud as you think it is. I have your engine on my lawn tractor and a GX240 (8 HP) on my primary generator, and you have to be 10-15 feet or less from either of them before you really even have to raise your voice to be heard and understood. Run your engine and take a walk down the street a bit. You might be surprised.

Reply to
Bo Williams

There was a thread about the same thing on the rec.crafts.metalworking....google is your friend Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Probably true, but never the less, you can still muffle the exhaust sound. Just don't restrict the air flow and create back pressure.

Reply to
Sherman