Is there a word for people who still post this...

"Google is your friend"

Trust me, just did a Google search for "Google is your friend". The first result is brilliant.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Same as for those that post "JFGI".

HTH. :-)

Reply to
John Williamson

I prefer the second hit: "Let me google that for you"

Reply to
nicknoxx

I had to Google "JFGI". It would appear to mean "Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis". In certain circumstances, I think your 'HTH' might be in vain!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I first saw it used as an abbreviation for "Just F***ing Google It!", back in the days when AOL users first got access to Usenet. I've never seen it used for anything else until now.

Reply to
John Williamson

I get

"Make google your homepage.

what's brilliant about that :-(

tim

Reply to
tim....

It has its own acronym - GIYF or even GIFFS

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Let me Google that for you.

MuddyMike

It's always been mine ever since my first dial-up account.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Why, what does that do...?

Reply to
Steve Walker

What do you want to have a homepage for? You have to wait for it to load and only then can you go to the page you actually want.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Er no.

Firefox at least will* start up with a blank page and only hit the home page if you hit the home button..

*=can be easily configured to
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Streater writes

If Googling tends to be the largest single reason for going on the internet, it saves time if you make it your home page.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Because a) it doesn't take more than a split second to load and b) the commonest place I want to go first is Google - which is why it's my home page.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Skipweasel gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Have you considered using a more modern browser? Search boxes have been ubiquitous for several years, so there's no need to go to a search engine's home page.

Reply to
Adrian

Ian Jackson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Or update your browser (or learn how to use it)

Reply to
Adrian

Haven't tried it with the current iteration, but it was possible with IE too, by adding the switch "-nohome" to its start command (either from Start Run, or by creating/modifying a shortcut).

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

It's personal taste - you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I have a search box - and sometimes I use it. Mostly, however, I prefer to use Google's home page.

For one thing I often find it quicker to search for pictures of what I'm after rather than pages. That's easier to handle from the main Google page.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Why the insistence that we all have to do it your way? I bet you're a bloody awful back-seat driver, too.

Reply to
Skipweasel