Is the blue ligh cutting filter for specs a con.

However, exposure to UV causes the body to produce Vitamin D, and Vitamin D helps to prevent cataracts, amongst other things, such as boosting the immune system.

Reply to
Biggles

Perhaps, I am exceptional, but very much doubt it. I recently ordered some new glasses recently and noticed one of the most expensive options was a blue light filter. I have been on computers and similar things for many hours a day over the last 30 years and can honestly say, I have have never experienced any visual problems from using these devices. I remember back in the early 2000s there was a big run on repetitive strain injury, through using a mouse, well I didn't suffer from that either.

Reply to
jon

The jury is definitely out. I'm sure personally that it's largely BS. We don't sell them to anyone unless they ask. I have a blue block on mine but I was getting them from a supplier for free, so why not? The missus has them in her specs because she works under a lot of flourescent and the slight residual tint on the single vision ones we use provides some comfort.

Boots got fined for overstating the blue light problem and terrifying their punters en masse into buying the filter, the fine was paltry though (circa 60k) because the governing bodies are toothless against the large corps.

Probably the least of anyone's worries.

Reply to
R D S

My computers' screens change colour after 9PM, to reduce the blue light output. It could equally easily be all the time. Surely, that's a good way of dealing with the problem?

Reply to
GB

That is only one aspect. There is far, far, far more blue light on a bright sunny day! Which is one reason I am very sceptical about computer screen issues.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

If they block blue light, what colour are they? Are they rose tinted? I used to have blue *tinted* lenses - free through the NHS [1] - for "photophobia". They just looked rather "cool".

[1] This was in the 70s when NHS eye tests were free (for everyone), and lenses were free (if they fitted NHS frames). I had "tortoise shell" frames, 75p for a pair
Reply to
Max Demian

as you get older you are more prone to get cataracts. Screening from UV light helps to slow down their growth.

Reply to
charles

I saw Lennon with a pair.

Reply to
jon

Thanks for a professional comment.

Reply to
jon

No those were (or looked like) the *completely free* NHS metal frames. The bows [2] curled around the ears so they wouldn't fall off. (Or maybe that was just for active kids.)

[2] "Bow" is the *proper* name for the parts of spectacles that fit over your ears.
Reply to
Max Demian

I had NHS frames like that when I was at school (40s)

Reply to
jon

On 30/06/2021 12:40, Max Demian wrote: o those were (or looked like) the *completely free* NHS metal frames.

The opticians I used when in the US, called those parts 'temples'.

Reply to
S Viemeister

There is a bit of a snake oil feel about all this though. Do the blue light glasses cut UV? They just appear to have a slight yellow tint.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Very little UV is transmitted by either glass or plastic. I would say the wearing any glasses will help to stop UV entering the eye.

Reply to
Fredxx

Its a way of extracting more money from the worried well. If you have trouble sleeping after using a PC late into the night get one of the apps that alters the colour temperature of the screen after sunset.

Some astronomy software has an extreme version that goes to red only to preserve night vision - that is until an email arrived box pops up!

Although that is true most glass and even plastic lenses for that matter do not transmit appreciable amounts of damaging UV. Skiing or being in a desert are among the few places where proper eye protection is seriously needed.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I think its a very low risk but many of the modern displays do have blue tinges and most certainly it has been proven that it can if used up till sleep time upset the 24 hours internal clock, but then so can some led lights. It also is a bit of guesswork as to frequencies. Certainly UV filters are very useful if you are out in the sun a lot. There is also a problem with children not exercising their eye focus muscles enough by being close to mobiles for a long time. You do need to focus at varying distances to keep these working as they should or you will need glasses for distance sooner rather than leter. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa