Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets, so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.

Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.

Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.

Reply to
gareth evans

The list "Cassia oil is stronger in aroma and taste than regular cinnamon so it's important to be sparing with it.

10ml is enough to flavour 9kg flour. "

So, how much of the stuff did you use, and how much flour? And how much of the resultant produce have you eaten?

Reply to
GB

1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times too much!

The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be unfeasibly small! :-)

Reply to
gareth evans

Put the toilet paper in the fridge, you'll be fine :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

250mg of flour, eh? So the flour dissolved in the oil, is that it, and vanished! Arf :-)
Reply to
Tim Streater

Typo caused by multitasking fingers arriving in the wrong order!

gm NOT mg

Reply to
gareth evans

Oh shit!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You need to serialise them fingers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oil of Cassia isn?t something I?ve used in my cooking but a former colleague had a reaction to something cooked using it. He is diabetic it transpires Oil of Cassia interacts with some diabetes medication. I think something to do with insulin uptake or breakdown? He was quite ill.

That is all I can recall. I?ve no idea if he is type 1 or 2 etc. I suspect the latter but only because I?d known him some time before he seemed to need to watch is sugar intake etc.

Strange isn?t it. We think of natural foods being healthier etc - which of course they are in general- then along comes something like this.

Another example is grapefruit juice and Statins.

Reply to
Brian