Is it OK to use levelling compound for areas only 2mm thick?

Having removed a "cemented-in" toilet and vinyl tiles from a screeded floor I'm tempted to use levelling compound to get a good surface for vinyl flooring. The needed thickness will vary from about 6mm to 2mm ... I'll PVA first but are there any problems with adherence when it's so thin?

I guess an alternative might be to repair the damaged bits of screed with sand/cement and then cover the floor with a sheet of oiled hardboard or thin marine ply before the vinyl ... any thoughts?

Reply to
no_spam

Having done this in 3 rooms, I will recommend a specific product. It's harder to get but it's not much more expensive than the crap sold in the sheds.

Follow the instructions exactly and use the max permitted water (and not a drop more). Mix with a whisk in a drill.

Prepare the floor with

This will get the adhesion and stop the water being sucked out.

has the full instructions for download.

From experience, whilst it will feather down to a mm or two, it levels better if you can apply 3mm or more depth in one hit.

Keeping it agile with a spiked roller will help a lot. You must block the doorways and anywhere else it can go as it is very mobile - I had it "bleed" through a 3mm gap I'd failed to block properly first time I used it.

Used correctly it's amazing stuff. Sets like iron in less than an hour (working time is about 20-25 minutes).

Last room I did was 20m2 and I put down 5 bags worth at once (with help) and got the final floor within 2mm level.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used a fine surface filler. The guy who laid the vinyl said they do the same. Use a 2 pack filler like Toolstation ProFil if you're in a hurry

Reply to
stuart noble