Is flashing tape ok for box window ?

I've had my lead stolen from my kitchen window. It's about 1.3m x

450mm and I've used 'aluminium foil' bitumen based flashing tape to cover it up. I painted some bitumen primer onto the rendering that I patched up and it seems to have stuck OK.

I'm just wandering how long this stuff is meant to last for and also can it be painted ? Would I have been better off using felt ? I spent over 100 quid in Wickes on a role of the self adhesive felt and underlay... however the chap next door who also had his lead stolen sold me the unused half of the role of 300mm wide flashing tape... Job done or keep the felt handy ?

Simon

Reply to
srp

I have some of that on the carport. Its lasted about 30 years. However it has started to peel from the wall in places sometime in the last

5 years or so. the tape is OK but the bitumen is failing. I expect its the lack of care putting it up, no primer, no cleaning of loose material, etc.
Reply to
dennis

yes, with bitumen.

you'd be better off with anything more substantial than al foil

NT

Reply to
NT

It's lasts 10-20 years on a rooftop. You might get longer in a less exposed situation. A lot depends on how well it's bonded on, and there being no relative movement.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel