Is CCTV a good deterrent

Until all shops have CCTV at which point the decision as to which shop to rob is made on some other criterion. In the long term this type of crime deterrent is pointless and wastes money.

It's a bit like car alarms, does anyone really think they reduce the number of cars nicked?

Reply to
usenet

Immobilisers certainly increase the skill level needed to do the deed.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Immobiliser != car alarm

I'm still not all that convinced about immobilisers even, they seem to be the cause of a considerable percentage of call-outs to the RAC/AA etc. nowadays.

Reply to
usenet

Also, the ones that do work are in expensive, attractive cars so instead of just waking up in the morning to find your car stolen you wake up in the morning to a burgled house, missing car keys as well as the car stolen. If you're foolish enough to hide the keys you get woken up to a threat of extreme violence from a hooded thug unless you hand over the keys which you put in the safe with your other valuables so you lose them as well.

Whatever way, the car still gets stolen, but at least without the immobiliser you don't get beaten up for the keys. Best thing to do is disable the immobiliser and put a sticker on the car to that effect.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

Not to mention that they are a cunning plan to make what used to be a couple of quid key replacement into a 40-80 quid operation.

Of course immobilisers arn't perfect. The one built into the Nissan Micra (that I'm currently trying to track down a possible fault in) can be defeated in about 10 mins, if you've got the right spare component, and a toolkit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Have you thought of a low wattage light to be on dawn till dusk ?

They are expensive to buy, but penuts to run, just like street lights.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

The one in my Rover 218SD works .. it jjust decides when to do so all on it's own.. like Tescos car park or just as we were about to drive off the IOW ferry .... oh and 'what key fob, I never got a key fob?" ;-(

If

Ah, we are ok there ... don't have any 'valuables' *and* they wouldn't want the car .. ;-)

I could leave the keys in it and they'd walk past it .. 'stealth' vehicle you see .. ;-)

I know what you mean though .. like the problems in SA where they shoot you dead in, then drive off with the car ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well you dont have to have a camera on view, if you buy the more expensive pin hole video camera, it cant be seen unless you know it there. It can be mounted in a hole the size of 1/8 inche. Se a good security company, and check it out, the can be found with sound recording too !

Reply to
West Midlands, UK.

The OPs question is "Is CCTV a good deterrent?" Can you explain how a camera that the Chavs can't see is going to be a deterrent?

Oh & BTW PLEASE DON'T TOP POST! And additionally, it is considered acceptable to have a FOUR line signature!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters