Internety thingummies, question.

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Saturday :

I have my setup the other way around. Phone cable is overhead, comes in at the eaves, into loft, with the main router access point up there. It gives pretty reasonable coverage around most of the place, but could be better on ground floor. On the ground floor, I have a second access point wired up to the first.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

John Rumm brought next idea :

Yes, that was also my best guess at the cause and what Plusnet seemed to be suggesting. Possible it is also a faulty or poor quality modem router, hence all of his wifi range problems.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But when they *eventually* get round to your neck of the woods, it'll likely be 330Mbps FTTP

Reply to
Andy Burns

You obviously haven't been paying attention Brian.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is that all? VM keep trying to get me to upgrade from 100Mbps to their VIVID 350 - though I'm told a lot of the time I'd likely only get 150 to

200 :( And heaven only knows when FTTP will arrive.
Reply to
Robin

Yes, and what is wrong with that? The fibre to the cab looks like fibre and quacks like fibre, so what are you complaining about.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's not correct when you use them in access point mode with a cat5 back to the router.

before taking into account neighbours on

Reply to
Jock Green

It?s a lot slower than FTTP can do.

The fibre to the cab looks like fibre

Reply to
Jock Green

LOL. I think the top for a single monomode is around 100Gbps.

FTTP aint nowhere near that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not actually a heavy user. Bit of catch up TV etc. But that was fine anyway before paying for the higher speed. The odd download I do from wherever didn't suddenly take half the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sure, but it?s a lot better than VDSL2 can do.

Some places like Singapore you have have 2 1Gb services if you want that. Not expensive either.

Reply to
Jock Green

Its slow by comparison to FTTP (80/20 at best compared to 330/30 typical for FTTP), and the reliability is limited by what in many cases will be a very old copper installation.

(personally I would not complain about having FTTC, since it would be better than the 1.5Mbps I get at the end of 6km of soggy string - however its a bit deceptive to refer to it as fibre broadband)

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought we were on Virgin?s Project Lightning (new grey cabinets in the street) but final connection is still coax. No twisted pair though, they?ve just moved over to VOIP.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Are far as I can tell, Virgin either run coax from a street cabinet to your house OR provide full FTTP. They?re hardly likely to terminate just a few feet from your house.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Then it's not an extender (aka repeater) is is it? It is, as you say, an access point.

You still need to be careful about channels and any overlap of channels and coverage but you don't get the instant 50% reduction in through put that you do with an extender/repeater.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tim+ explained :

As near as I could see, what was dropped into the ground from cabinet to every house, was a semi rigid and yellow coloured.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There's an Android app* for looking to see which channels are in use.

*WiFi Analyser
Reply to
charles

Looking at where general FTTP infrastruture has been installed around here it's not likely to appear here. The places it has are small groups (dozen or so) premesis all fairly close together ie less than a handful of poles covers all of them. The premesis in this part of the world are detached by a 1/4 mile or more...

It's not lack of fibre in the area, they installed a fibre cable down to the villages cabinet for FTTC. They normally put in 96 core cable, that cable passes under our forecourt 10' from the door. There

*might* be access into that cable at large chamber 200 m away.

Where there is the infrastructure I don't think I've seen an installed "drop wire" from the fibre DPs at the top of the poles to a premesis. That could mean a few things:

The infrastructure isn't capable of being lit. Highly unlikely, why would Openreach spend money and not light and sell it? Yes, the money could be Phase 2 (Or is it 3?) BDUK money but if so it would be capable of being lit.

The combination of these three is more likely though: The consumer cost (installation and/or rental) of the service is too high. Consumer ignorance and poor marketing by the few ISPs that do sell it. Lack of ISPs selling the service.

Of course if I wait until 2033:

I've been saying since the inception of BDUK and the use of FTTC that they shouldn't be doing FTTC as it's not future proof enough. I used to use the example of a family at home, with Mum watching Men & Motors, Dad a soap and the kids surfing away on YouTube, all with 10 Mbps HD streams so 50 Mbps minimum required not the 24 Mbps mimimum that qualifies a link as "superfast"...

These days with the emergence of 4k UHD/HDR as the broadcast TV standard (new trucks/studios are UHD 4k if not 8k capable and IP based). I'll revise that to 100 Mbps not being enough. The recent trials of live streaming UHD needed a 40 Mbps link...

They are trying to fudge it with G.Fast *up to* 330Mbps but only if you can throw a rock at the cabinet and hit it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is when it's a mode you select in that device.

It is, as you say,

Reply to
Jock Green

A friend who works for openreach, lives on a rural lincolnshire road with individual properties strung-out over miles, apparently they're getting FTTP real soon now (problem due to crossing a railway line).

Reply to
Andy Burns