Internety thingummies, question.

Max Demian laid this down on his screen :

By me too, so I only have them for emergency use.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Max Demian brought next idea :

I am 0.5Km with 16Mb, he is around 1.5Km with 6 to 8Mb. He rarely uses what he has at the moment, apart from for email. It is costing him and extra £4 pm.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When I got BT FTTC here, they supplied a new router etc. I've got them installed in the cellar (don't actually want to see them all the time) which is fine for most of the house. But the top floor and garden not so good. So used the old router as an extra Wi-Fi point, fed via CAT5 on the top floor. Seems to go a long way. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but possibly more common the country. we also have an overhead line

Reply to
charles

shocking

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

on 28/07/2018, Jim K supposed :

Mine Homeplug is shown in the list of wife access points. W10, if I click on the quadrant with rings symbol on the right, up pops all of the wife connection access points my PC is seeing. At the top is the one I am actually connected to.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Poles to the *house* are still commonplace in many parts of London - eg off the top of my head Islington, Hackney, Camden, Mortlake. But those are fed by underground cables from the cabinet. Dave referred to poles to the *cabinet*. I'd like to see that if Streetview covers it.

Reply to
Robin

I took that to mean poles between house and cabinet, rather than poles between exchange and cabinet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not as rare as you might think!

When we lived in the Ilford area, BT cables were underground but onl;y a couple of hundred metres away it was all overhead.

In fact, a large part of the London Borough of Redbridge is still overhead cables and telegraph poles. I'm sure it is not unique!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Why are you using your wife to connect to the internet? :-)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Sorry - actually meant poles from street to houses. Underground to the poles.

Not sure about all of London, but this is the only street round here with them. And often wondered why, since the area was mostly built at the same time, and before telephones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think ours was in fact in a duct exchange cabinet. Few years back some scroats cut the cable at two manholes and pulled it out with their truck, not knowing the cable was alarmed. And then had no idea how to roll up a 400-pair for removal. That may have accelerated the FTTC.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are a scourge on society. Home plugs are the Bain of my life as a short wave hobbyist. These devices pump so much rf down the mains cable they contravene the Wireless telegraphy act, but the authorities are turning a blind eye to it for their own reasons. Just another law run roughshod over by big business. I think they hope in the fullness of time 5G will make such devices obsolete. It cannot happen too soon, but I doubt it will stop as all sorts of devices now use the same idea including home automation.

As for how fibre works, I guess you would need to look at what is plugged into his router.No you need either fibre to the house or the virgin idea of fibre in the road and then a device that shoves it on co-ax for the last few feet.

As for poor reception. My guess is that so many people now have wifi that its interference not lack of signal. In the main I have only one item on wifi, the echo dot, everything else is wired with network cables, end of problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

radio is dead...long live computers....or so the say ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Not uncommon. Not always fixable with just one router. Depending on the house / layout etc, he may need multiple access points.

Because the BT "fibre" he has been sold is not really fibre in the true sense. They are using Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC), and then using VDSL (a DSL varient designed for very high speed and short range) over copper for the last few hundred metres...

The virgin option will be either a fibre or co-ax to the premises system. (Typically FTTP or DOCSIS)

Homeplug devices work by injecting a RF signal into the mains wiring. Given that was never really designed to limit radiation at those frequencies, some of it will escape[1] - and may in theory make its way into the telephone lines where it could interfere with the RF carrying the broadband. In practice I have not seen this as a problem.

It sounds more likely they are not properly paired or are isolated in some other way.

[1] upsetting the local radio amateurs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Generally I have found them quite reliable - although I have only installed a handful of systems (probably 20 to 30) using them.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's the way to do it. Not with Home plugs or "WiFi extenders". Home plugs just shove out lots of interference. WiFi extenders half the throughput straight away before taking into account neighbours on the same channel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jim K submitted this idea :

Yes! One unit connects to the hub/router via wired connection. The second unit goes into a mains socket wherever you need the remote access. The second unit offers two wired LAN outlets and a wifi access point.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Terry Casey formulated the question :

Spell chucker strikes again :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

grr

Grrrr

GRRrrr

6 (six) Mbps here on a a good day.

The "other end" may well be your ISP, nearly all have "traffic shaping" clauses of one form or another in their T&C, along with AUPs that enable them to throttle users that have the temerity to fill their "unlimited" pipe for extended periods of time. One or two public state they do their best NOT to be a bottle neck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice