internal wall strength

Hi, I have a house with an internal load bearing wall that I want to
make some modifications to...
Imagine a square with a line going through the middle. This middle
line in the internal wall which is a half brick thick wall that
supports upstairs floor joists the ends of which rest on it. The
wall at one end already has a door and in the middle there is a
chimney breast that protudes by a brick length and a brick's width so
about 15".
I want to remove the chimney breast and open up the existing door way
to double doors but I wonder if the chimney is adding any structural
support to the wall and whether it'd be ok to remove it. It's keyed
in on some courses and not on others. There are no brick walls
upstairs so the only load ont he middle wall is the floor and the
partition walls.
Here's an ASCII drawing...
From this...
______________
| |
| door |
|_________ \_|
| '--' | 7m
| chimney |
| |
|____________|
6m
To this...
______________
| |
| |
|_______/ \_|
| | 7m
| |
| |
|____________|
6m
Anyone think I'll have any problems?
Reply to
adder1969
From the info provided and without seeing it, I'd say it might well be, so, no - personally I wouldn't touch it without getting professional advice.
I don't quite understand what's above this - you say there's no brick wall - what about the chimney breast - or has that already been removed?
Which way do the upper-floor joists run? Perpendicular to the chimney breast? If so you'll probably find that they are keyed into it, so that will need to be dealt with if the chimney breast is removed or the upper floor will come down.
David
Reply to
Lobster
The ASCII drawings are plan. The chimney stack has already been taken down from the top down to first floor level. The joists run up and down when looking at the ASCII i.e. their ends rest on the middle wall. That's perpendicular to the middle wall. The joists aren't keyed into the chimney (as with most chimneys?) The chimney stack is only about 22" wide so sits/sat between two joists.
I think it'll be OK but just have visions of such a thin wall buckling and coming down!
Reply to
adder1969
So you're thinking the chimney breast might be acting as a pier to hold the wall up, and that if the chimney hadn't been there originally, the wall would have been built thicker? Dunno. Possibly?
David
Reply to
Lobster
Precisely, or there might have been a perendicular brick wall to it rather than the partition that is there now. I don't know if there are any regs anywhere as to lengths of walls etc.
Reply to
adder1969

Site Timeline Threads

  • site's last updated in