Interesting Earthing method !

Just been checking some wiring done in the era of a previous owner of the property. A ring main, where each double socket had one of the cable earths connected to the back box, the other to the earth terminal on the socket, but no box to socket wire, so ring earth continuity relied on all the back box screws. (now re-wired). Then two outside MK waterproof sockets, each a radial off the consumer unit rcd protected side, with the earth connected to the terminal on the plastic housing but not to the socket, so no earth at all!

Just as well I checked !

When putting in ring mains, I've always individually sleeved the cable earths, tight twisted them at the bare end then put them in the socket connector with the backbox earth lead. This way even if the earth terminal screw worked loose ring earth continuity would be preserved, but I understand this is frowned on now as it makes breaking the loop for testing a bit harder.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have seen that done several times with plastic patress'! Scarey.

One of my pet hates.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hi Adam,

Just out of interest, when do you break connections at an accessory in a socket circuit for testing?

I'm sure there's a good reason, but in my *limited* training for circuit testing and subsequant practice, I've only found it necessary to break the circuit at the CU - all socket tests being done from the front.

OK - inspection requires looking inside but not breaking anything.

Lights are different - in that one must bridge out dimmers etc[1]

Just curious.

[1] One of my pet hates - because you are disturbing the circuit under test and inherently cannot test it fully after re-assembly. I think *all* dimmers and other sensitive switches should have a hole in the back side where a shorting pin can be inserted for testing...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Twisting was done with the old multi-strand cable. Not a good idea with current cable which is either single strand, or (larger sizes) multi-stand but too big to twist. Good quality terminals will often take anything from large conductors right down to flex, but what they won't handle are a mixture of different sizes.

When I put in a whole ring, I usually set myself a challenge to get it all installed without cutting through any of the conductors, and I've managed this a number of times, but not always. Any loose terminals impact only the socket they're on, and do not accumulate along the circuit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Admirable. I don't think I could have done that without a *lot* of trouble as I have 100% drops from the ceiling downwards.

I do wish manufacturers would adopt captive terminals as standard - the number of times I have had one wire, especially the smaller CPC disappear up the side of the screw are uncountable - nearly made me start twisting the conductors. I did double some over in the end.

That was on GET sockets which are better in this respect, I have seem some truely dire terminals in my time...

Never had that problem with my Hager RCBOs which are all captive.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You really only need to start messing with socket connections for fault finding.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Good - just wondered if I missed something...

Reply to
Tim Watts