insulating stairs sounds through party wall

I am removating a house, so some disruption is OK. I want to reduce the sound through the party wall from kids running upstairs etc. A reduction is OK. I do not have the space to make a "camden partition", was thinking of wall/foam/platerboard sandwich as a best compromise. BUT, how is the string of stairs usually fixed into the partition wall. I would probably change this method to accommodate my work, but what is the traditional method ? 1920s-ish end terrace, solid hall/kitchen floor. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

only option i can think of is to use deep pile carpet and good quality underlay on the treads. trying to stop the transfer of sound once the noise has been produced is gonna be difficult and expensive to do. stop the noise at source! make em wear slippers!

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Um, I meant noise from next door. I cannot force them to have thick carpet, but I suppose I could sent them some slippers for christmas. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You have a trimmer or double ceiling joist at the top of the stair and possibly something holding the newels at the bottom. The inner string or side of the stair is also screwed to the wall.

Just use props and cross braces instead of the screws through the stringer. That would allow you to bring the stairs off the wall.

It is traditional to murder the top newel. If that ran all the way down it would act as a brace too. Another alternative is hangars on the outer string. But this idea is getting silly.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Yes, that or offer to buy them some extra underlay and to fit it for them.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy