(another variation on) soundproofing party wall

Hi I want to add sound insulation to the party wall in our bedroom (Victorian brick terrace), since the neighbours use theirs as a living room - there's not a huge noise problem, I just want to make sure that their conversation and TV doesn't keep us awake.
I've been reading old posts and I'm having trouble deciding between whether to: 1) add mass to the wall with 50mm battens, 50mm insulation slabs and plasterboard; or 2)build a free-standing stud wall 10-25mm away from existing wall, stuff with rockwool and cover with plasterboard. (If #2 is best, should the rockwool go in the gap between wall & stud-wall, leaving the studs "hollow" ? ; or should the rockwool sit in the studs, leaving the gap empty between the walls ?)
There is another complication though - and do tell me if you think that this will negate any noise reduction: This is the only room in the house with an original cornice, and I am loathe to cover/replace them, so I was think of only putting the battens or stud wall from floor-level to just below the cornice. This would leave the top 50/75mm of wall (with the cornice on) untouched. I would have to cover and seal the gap at the top of the plasterboard. (which, if I go for the stud-wall approach, would effectively join the top of the stud-wall to the existing wall - hmmm ) (I realise that it may look a bit strange too, but eventually there will be some tall wardrobes along most of this wall.)
Given this complication with the cornice, should I go for solution #1 or #2 (or neither/other) ? Cheers - Dan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.