Insulating Pipes running through Joists

Just finishing off the first fix plumbing in my new bathroom (upstairs) and I'm turning my attention to insulating the new pipework before I put the floor down (chipboard over the kitchen ceiling). I'm insulating both hot and cold, to help stop condensation in the case of the cold, but it worries me I have a cold bridge where the pipe passes through the hole in the joist. Has anybody had any problems with this, and even better, could offer a solution please?

Thanks.

Reply to
Cod Roe

"Cod Roe" wrote

None of my piping is insulated under the first floor and there are no signs of condensation problems! Unless you have a very old house that allows outside moist air straight into the floor void I wouldn't worry too much about the cold and condensation. More useful is to insulate the hot and/or ensure separation between hot and cold. It's annoying and wasteful having to run lots of cold water to brush teeth or drink because it has picked up heat from other pipes. Unfortunately I can't get at the point where hot and cold pipes feed our en-suite :(.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Tell me about it... we have a long pipe run from where the rising main enters the house and reaching the kitchen sink: it evidently comes close to the central heating pipes at two places, for a substantial period, because when you turn on the cold water tap the water goes warm....cold....hot... cold ... hot... and finally cold.

Every time I have the floor up for something else these days I tend to apply insulation to whatever pipes I can see, but haven't yet got to the worst bit - fairly sure it's below a fitted wardrobe :-( At least we aren't on metered water.

David

Reply to
Lobster