Installing Your Own Double Glazing

If internally glazed windows also use window tapes (I don't know if they do, but I suspect so), then you will need access to the outside to cut it out. Of course, one way to get access to the outside from the inside would be to smash the window and work through the opening ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

LOL

I don't mind going up the ladder, if it is without a large double glazing unit in my hand. Last time I did this, my son helped me. He was on one ladder and I was on another. Not something to look forward to :-( I have never felt so vulnerable in all my life, hence the internal glazing when they fail. Windows are cheap when considering your life.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you get two or more suction glass holders and there are two of you then you can fit it from the inside. Pump some iron a day prior.

Reply to
StealthUK

I installed my own.

I found the local REHAU factory, and went in direct, paid cash, got the windows

*MUCH* cheeper than anywhare else.

Its a simple job, just smach out the old one, and use frame fixers and spray foam to hold in the new. You will need soma plastic trim, to go round the edge, find your local plastics shop, not B&Q, mine offer 50% off for "collect and pay cash".

On the upper floors you can do it all from the inside. Its a one man job.

ISSUES: sometines the frame is "in the cavity", sometimes the brickwork is different sizes in & out measuring !!!!!!!

I allways work some of the mortar out round the old frame, so I can see where it is and measure it easier. I order slightly (5mm) smaller that I think I need. Filling in 5mm with spray foam is easy, carving off 5mm or brick is a pain.

If you don't have lintels, or you have bays, its a *BIG* job. What you can do is get the local quailty company round to check the job out, then tell them you have gone with someone else. Some old windows actually hold the house up. You can generally tell these, as they have very thick woodwork.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper