Double Glazing effectiveness meter

ok so I accepted a cold call invitiation as the first ploy of the energy saving call was externally beaded windows and security, then special thermal coating for walls, but then I have a wide bedroom window on which condensation forms at times on the room side of the glass.

The 'surveyor' came with a meter that either showed Red or Green. A window unit I know that had been recently replaced new glass showed, as it should, Green as did the very large lounge window.

The bedroom window showed Red. I joked about "Press once for Green, press two for Red" but the meter seemed genuine. So what is it and are they any use?

And any clues on the condensation on the inside (not between) the old wide window? It is on a North side wall which never gets any sun.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Windows tend to be the coldest part of an exterior wall so will get condensation on first. Even with double glazing it will happen first.

Of course if you have heating on and ventilation its less likely.

Our windows are so good we get condensation on the outside. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Maybe it was to indicate whether the glass was "Low E" aka "K" glass, and if it was fitted the correct way around?

e.g.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some glass has an invisible metalised surface on one side. It's supposed to reflect infra red and thus save energy. This means it has to be correctly orientated to work properly. The meter detects which side is metalised.

harry

Perhaps testing if the glass had low emissivity coating like Pilkington "K".

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Oh, now I am confused. Yes that looks like the meter (I only got a quick glance and not too sure about 3 lights) but that seems to say Green is clear not coated? So if I've understood correctly Green is bad, Red is good, Orange is bad, or have I got that ar$e about t1t?

Reply to
AnthonyL

There seem to be a couple of things that double glazing needs to do. It has obviously to not allow radiant heatfrom inside out, and it has to insulate. the latter in the case of mine is fine on the glass but rubbish on the ally frames as they do not have a break between outside and inside unfortunately, too old, so I do still get condensation on the frames and can on very cold nights feel a draft due to the dropping cool air. Question is, is it worth the upheaval and expense to have them replaced when the wallds do not ahve a cavity to insulate. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For that particular meter, depending whether pointed from indoors or outdoors, but I'm sure there are plenty of similar devices.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wish I'd paid a bit more attention to the meter but I do only recall Red and Green with the 'surveyor' (well he had a tape measure) saying Green was good and I did get Green on the one window I know was reputably replaced recently. Heme did ring a bell though.

All readings were done from the inside.

Reply to
AnthonyL

The windows sound exactly the same setup as we had. In cold weather the frames would be constantly wet with condensation. I had the feeling that the heat loss through the frames was probably as much as was being saved by the double glass. We do however have cavity walls - rather unconventional 4.5 inch outer leaf and 2.5 inch inner leaf, plus 2 inch polystyrene foam under the plasterboard on the inside.

We had the windows replaced with new UPVC units about 12 months ago and noticed a big improvement in comfort level. The energy savings won't be enough to recoup the cost but still well worth it from the comfort point of view.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Brian Gaff formulated on Thursday :

I can't help with the lack of a cavity, but...

If your alloy DG was anything like ours, they were designed to fix into the existing wooden frames. Just the original glass and woodwork in the middle of the frames removed then the alloy laid in.

Those wooden frames eventually rotted in places, so I decided to replace the lot. On really cold days, the moisture did condense a little, now we get none of that and it does seem a little warmer, but we have cavities which are insulated. The entire house is warm and comfortable, apart from the utility, which is noticeably colder despite being heated. The reason being it has no cavity and a flat roof.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That was my guess too! Slightly more trustworthy than damp meters!

Reply to
newshound