Installing plastic doors and windows.

When installing plastic door frames and windows frames would you put a concrete screw going up into the lintel?

Reply to
Michael Chare

I did. Maybe you live with just foam at the top if you had screws in the other three sides ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well as I recall they used some kind of spacers with screws on mynthen used foam trimmed it and plastered over the top. On the window however they did not wait quite long enough and about a month later there was a pop and a crunch and a big bubble of foam had shattered the skimmed over plaster in the corner of the window and sent the plaster into the sink.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes don't know what mine was. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I might if the frame was wide. But if you have a steel cored uPVC frame (which IIRC is most darker coloured frames and not white, unless you explicitly spec if) then:

If I had an excellent fix at both sides and the window was not *too* wide, I'd be happy to foam the top. Foam adds a surprising amount of stiffness.

OTOH if you have/borrow an SDS drilling the lintel is not much of an ordeal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But SDS do tend to be quite long, so if you have top-opening lights, might be tricky to get the drill in.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes I was to lazy to use the plural. I am hoping that the made to measure products that I have ordered will come with fitting instructions. It will be a first time for installing these plastic items and for using concrete screws.

Reply to
Michael Chare

If I had that problem I would use my small ratchet drive without the long extensions which I also bought to do another job. :-)

Reply to
Michael Chare

When they replaced the windows in my mum's flat with UPVC frames they simply used concrete screws. Frame positioned packed and wedged square drilled and screws inserted job done.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It is a Professional Heavy Duty Quick Release Ratchet Wrench 1/4 Inch Drive Handle sold on ebay. Certainly strong enough to turn any of the small bit sets.

Reply to
Michael Chare

No real need - and you want to avoid distorting the frame.

Best to lay it on a level bed, and fix to the sides. The foam etc infill provides the strength.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have been looking at the existing door and adjacent window wooden frames. Neither of them has screws going up into the lintel.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Two large windows, patio doors and a single ouside door. Simply followed the instructions. And they've been fine for many a year.

How many have you installed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you screwed them all into a concrete lintel? Why?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Who was it that installed then for you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Id put more than one... assuming the lintel is actually concrete...

Reply to
Jim K..

It wouldn't have used any more letters.

I am hoping that the made to

Fingers crossed then (yours that is :-D )

Reply to
Jim K..

Drill frame, position frame, make some sort of mark through hole onto lintel, remove frame, drill hole in lintel, replace frame, wonder how to tighten screws.... :-D

Reply to
Jim K..

The point related to windows with top openers and the access issues of getting tools in to drill & screw home into lintels above...

Reply to
Jim K..

How small is small? And could that equate to weak?

Reply to
Jim K..