Install electric hob above washing machine?

The only way I can get the kitchen layout to work is to install the electric hob above the washing machine. I can see it's not ideal, but is it allowed? Any extra precautions I could take, eg install some sort of vapour barrier?

Reply to
GB

I personally can't see why it is any worse than installing it under a food preparation counter-top, which is what most of us do.

Reply to
Graham.

I'd be surprised if there'd be enough clearance with all hobs and all w/ms to leave the manufacturer's minimum clearance. So might constrain your choice of replacements.

Reply to
Robin

I didn't even know the manufacturers specified a minimum clearance!

Reply to
GB

They have installation manuals!

Reply to
ARW

What is the floor made of? In my kitchen I have a microwave above the washing machine, but due to wooden floors the worktop the Microwave is on is in fact supported on the wall by brackets and not touching the machine or the floor. I guess it could be good for meals that require agitation but its timing the spin cycle just right for that to work of course!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And for bouncy things like washing machines it is probably quite a good idea.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

looking for something else last week, I came across an installation manual with large letters on the front "DO NOT LEAVE WITH CUSTOMER"

Reply to
charles

What outrageous secrets did you get from it?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I would have thought leaving with the customer would give some security for the bill being paid.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Thanks for the advice. I have had a look at a few hobs now - I hadn't got to the detail of the installation manuals previously - and you're clearly right that there's a potential problem.

It looks like it might be a good idea to extend the legs on the base units a bit when installing them. And choose chunky worktop.

If all else fails, you can get height reduction kits for washing machines - a flat metal plate to replace the normal lid. I actually have the T shirt for that one already.

Reply to
GB

I don't see a problem with a hob above a WM. If you don't like the resultin g height you can get reduced size WMs if necessary. If you mount the hob on the machine it can stir while you cook.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

These days washing machines don't bounce much. The only downside I can see is that your worktop might have to be half an inch higher than normal. (And IMHO there is a reasonable case for slightly higher worktops).

Reply to
newshound

That was printed on the installation instructions for my Gloworm boiler.

Something like "Not to be read by the patient" used to adorn medical notes hanging from the foot of hospital beds.

Reply to
Graham.

The NHS still applies that policy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most hobs don't protrude below a 30 mm worktop and I have not seen one that protrudes below a 40 mm worktop.

You might struggle with a 20 mm "granite" one like mine.

The kitchen units usually have adjustable legs so increasing the height isn't difficult when fitting.

Reply to
dennis

1) Are you expecting steam off the washing machine? If it's a condenser dryer or plain old washing machine, there's generally none IME. 2) The worktop mounted induction hobs have fans and expect a certain amount of clearance underneath - it's quite small (a cm or three - check the manuals online) 3) Induction hobs are very thin - the one's I know of more or less sit within the thickness of a 40mm worktop. 4) They usually expect the bottom not to be exposed.

So you could build a box container under the worktop like this with the front and back open - say a 2cm air slot or something like that

=====INDUCTION HOB HERE======= ||slot to the front and back||

------------------------------

WASHING MACHINE

Does that make sense?

Reply to
Tim Watts

No they don't.

Reply to
dennis

I refuse to buy anything where I can't download the installation manual in advance :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

try getting a schematic of anything in your car.

Reply to
Graham.