Inexpensive burglar deterrent

In message , john east wrote

Have a door bell that cannot be heard when pressing the bell push. They then don't know if the bell is broken and the owner is still in the house.

Reply to
Alan

They will then knock on the door.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

but if a courier can't hear the bell, he assumes it's broken and uses the knocker, which no-one hears. In fact, find a courier who uses the bell.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles wrote

If it's parcel farce it will be just push the "you were out" notification through the letter box.

Reply to
Alan

A determined professional burglar cam break into more-or-less anywhere. But most burglars are neither professional nor determined. And few of us keep large amounts of valuables at home.

Reply to
Huge

Are you a postman?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have one room furnished as a old lounge with the curtains open, containing a shitty old TV, horrible VCR and manky old record player.

Reply to
grimly4

It's the only one that doesn't go off with false alarms.

Fwiw, a couple of years ago I replaced a CU in an ex-vet's surgery/house. I couldn't find the back-up battery for the alarm, so it was wailing its nuts off for an hour or two until I had it connected back up. Nobody gave a s**te, nobody came, and the house was literally just up the hill in plain sight of the cop shop.

Reply to
grimly4

Kids from miles around would be queuing up to work it.

Reply to
grimly4

Are you living in Bogota at the moment?

Reply to
grimly4

Oi. That's my lounge.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Excuse me, that *is* my lounge.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh, yours too?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And I still have not been burgled.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Does a professional burglar pay tax on his income?

If he does then I can spot an opportunity for the police to make an an arrest.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

For minor theftsa I've heard putting up a picture of someone eyes staring stops or reduces thefts. Think this is just petty thefts from offices rather than breakins .

The best solution might be hanging the corpse of teh previous burglar up at the window but I'mm betting thats not allowed or very practicle.

Reply to
whisky-dave