increasing water pressure blew up water softener

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Utter mince. When the domestic rates were abolished the Irish economy was in a parlous state - it was purely a vote-getting move.

There's an extra charge everywhere for domestic refuse collection, but it's not imposed by the Council - you pay it to a private contractor.

The upside, as far as I'm concerned is that I'm paying for public services I actually use through motor tax (the motor tax is paid to the Council and goes into the general services pot) but I'm not paying through the nose for services I don't use.

I foresee a problem with this though; when the oil runs out and individual car ownership decreases, the tax take will diminish.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:00:19 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote (in article ):

Big assumption.

People will not want to go for public transport because it is inconvenient and pretty disgusting.

It is far more likely that new forms of fuel and the means to use them will emerge and/or people will pay more for independence. That in turn will feed back into the economy creating market demand for the means to do this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It isn't.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, did the Daily Mail say that?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:44:23 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote (in article ):

Do you believe it to be otherwise?

Reply to
Andy Hall

If the Daily Mail said, I do not believe it. They prone to telling porkies.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:17:50 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote (in article ):

That's odd. You don't normally have difficulty believing everything in a printed publication.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, it isn't odd, your favourite Little Middle England rags tells porkies.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel