Increasing front door clearance for tiling

We want to tile our hall but the way its been built there is only 10mm clearance under the front door which is not going to be enough for ceramic tiles, I could trim a bit more off the bottom of the door but this is not going to leave a lot of meat to cover the metal weather bar. I am considering insetting a door mat area large enough for the door to open but am not particularly keen on a step (albeit a small one) onto the tiles, anyone had a similar problem? any ideas?

TIA

Reply to
David

Use rising butt hinges on the door (eg )

David

Reply to
Lobster

You could slope the mat area if it covered the whole width. A little latex flooring screed would do it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Continue the tiles over the threshold so the weather strip is raised by the thickness of the tiles?

Reply to
Rob Morley