Increasing flame size on main gas ring

I have a rangemaster cooker, works fine except the main central gas flame i s pretty pathetic and feeble. It?s always been this way and I am ge tting fed up with the inability to make a decent stir fry with it. I used to have a lacanche with this flame -

=GQ9iJuTz6zY And want to at least increase the pathetic flame on the rangemaster a littl e.

So how best to increase gas and air to the ring? Fit a larger jet? Drill it out to the next size up? Or increase gas pressure by fitting an adjustable gas regulator on the gas bottle?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

is pretty pathetic and feeble. It?s always been this way and I am getting fed up with the inability to make a decent stir fry with it.

v=GQ9iJuTz6zY

it out to the next size up? Or increase gas pressure by fitting an adjustab le gas regulator on the gas bottle?

Jet size controls air/gas mix, so no to that. Gas pressure controls flame s ize, so it might be worth checking you've got full rated pressure. Modifica tion or use out of spec would create legal issues.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As others have said, the jet size and amount of air are usually pre-set, although I do remember on some gas rings many years ago the air admittance was potentially controllable by a threaded disc that you could adjust to vary the size of the air intake. But that won't change the flame size significantly, only the colour of the flame, from yellow and sooty (not much air), to blue and eventually striking back to the jet (too much air).

Have you checked that the jet isn't partially blocked by grease, cooking residues etc.?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The jet and the air will be configured for what should be the maximum gas input to gas ring.

I had a gas ring (grill) where the jet fitted was marked with the correct size, but drilled to small. It was so weak, it took forever to grill anything. I carefully redrilled to the correct size and it then worked fine. Another possibility is a jet partially blocked, which can be cleared with a fine wire.

Drilling jets would need a set of micro drill bits, which are not cheap.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I will remover the jet to see wha5 size it is, maybe buy the next size up, see if it helps. I suspect there will be a point where increasing the size of the hole causes there to be too much gas and not enough air and create a blow torch effect? Too much air and you get yellow flames and soot right?

Reply to
Mr Sandman

That's usually too little air, resulting in incomplete combustion.

Reply to
John Rumm

, see if it helps. I suspect there will be a point where increasing the siz e of the hole causes there to be too much gas and not enough air and create a blow torch effect? Too much air and you get yellow flames and soot right ?

and CO and death

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

..and production of carbon monoxide and potentially death!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield