Improvised fence ideas

Yeah, I can imagine this being really solid + private - it's something I'd never have thought of, so ta for that. I'll have a play with these bits next time I'm at Wickes. I guess the thickness needs to be just right for them to overlap by just the right amount.

The other idea I'm keen on is similar to your other suggestion - take some kind of 1" thick, 1' high boards and thicken the ends by nailing some wood on, so they can be slotted firmly into the 2" slots in the concrete posts. Like you say, it might leave gaps, but on the plus side they'll be easy to slide out and replace if any do get damaged, especially where access is awkward right by the spiky hawthorn.

cheers for your help - this problem's been nagging at me since we moved here (this was supposed to be a quiet backwater too :)

G.A.

Reply to
Glen Able

> Hell of a fence though at 4 per ton :)

Thanks. I want to build steps down a 1 in 4-ish slope and these sound just the thing to hold the soil in place.

Reply to
Mike

The only thing I would say about this is that sturdy horizontal wood in fences makes the fence much easier to climb over. Sorry if I have misunderstood the above design!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

No, it's a fair point. It might be necessary to add some security features. A few of the neighbours have put barbed wire along the tops of theirs - looks unnecessarily hostile IMO.

As the fence is for the bottom of the garden and obviously visible from the house, I'll probably want to hide it with some planting anyway. Which means I can put a few nasty Pyracantha or Berberis in there - far more deadly than any other (legal) security device!

cheers, G.A.

Reply to
Glen Able

Perhaps they know something you don't ...

And better looking. It sounds as though some extra protection is needed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi,

If you need a lot of boards and have a local saw mill it might be worth getting a quote for sawn & treated.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Good point, what about topping it off with trellis? Looks nice, but will deter intruders as it will not hold their weight. Could also support a rambling rose, a nice thorny one, or pyracantha as suggested. The downside is that some vandal could easily damage it if that is a problem in your area.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece