Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

But nobody buys stuff from America in the UK. It's too far away for economical shipping.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why does this confuse you? Have you never heard of a compressor powered nut spinner? Have you never seen one in a garage when you're getting your tyres changed?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm 43 and have never ever seen anything requiring imperial shit. Just how antique is your stuff?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things from the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Anything that old belongs in the skip.

What? Torx is in mm too.

Anything that old should be ripped out and replaced.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've used petrol and electric. An electric slows down if it's thick grass, but a petrol just stalls.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fine if you're a rich bastard and have a huge lawn. If you ever get fed up, I'll swap houses with you free of charge.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

WTF are you on about? If it's in inches, it's imperial. If it's in mm, it's metric. We don't have another measurement, only mm and inches.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cant' work your killfile yet?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No they don't. The latter is just someone who disagrees with you. Is that too scary for you or something?

Don't which? Two things were stated in that sentence.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did you expect intelligence from someone calling themselves "tabbypurr"? Sounds like a name a child would use. "I used it because I got a cat and that's the noise it makes and it's really cool!"

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

From modern to 1920s mostly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I got mine from Cannons in Clapham. A large motor factors with a superb tool department. All in a Gothic building. Long since moved and down sized, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AF on a spanner refers to the Across Flats size in inches.

During WW2 unified threads were agreed so things could be produced in both the US and UK. Although more based on the original American Fine threads than UK ones. And used by much of the UK car industry until metrication in the '70s.

Yes - my first socket set which had BSW/BSF and AF sizes said Imperial and Unified.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You haven't. But no different from metric. Some metric spanners may 'fit' BSW or Unified nuts too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The back end of small, interchageable torx, screwdriver, hex bits are all 1/4" not metric.

Reply to
Steve Walker

But some of their measures like a gallon are different to ours, so we aren't imperial enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Rover V8 engine used Unified threads mainly UNC. Plenty of those still around in Range Rovers, etc.

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The square drive on the OP's socket set is almost certainly Imperial.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well be surprised, but that is what it has. At least the imperial is AF and not good old fashioned BSF and BSW. There are some fairly close matches between AF and metric.

I still have a half inch socket set with both imperial and AF, and I was very glad of it today.

Reply to
newshound