Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

Yes, I have small bolts in a few places on the car, like the battery terminals, but the point is there are plenty around 15-19mm - as in ones that hold stuff together, like the engine mounts, the bolts that hold the alternator and starter motor on, the wheel nuts, etc. Most sets don't have those sizes. Why would anyone buy a set of socket bits that stop at 13mm? All sets should be a complete set, all the sizes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't have to with mm, why do you think we went metric? So you can seriously glance at a pile of socket bits and put them in order? You have to think for each one and perform a calculation. With mm, it's just 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, you're not bright enough to realise your not ahead of anyone else. Deluded comes to mind.

Most people in the UK can discern the difference between a metric socket set and a mixed metric/imperial socket set. You are the exception.

Reply to
Fredxx

Have you seen the reviews on that?

Reads like of two buyers neither got it to work.

Why the second one gave it three stars, when it wouldn't work as it was the wrong size... ? I thought all wheel nuts were nominally the same size (the 'lockable' ones pattern being within a 17 mm hex).

Reply to
soup

I repeat, "Must be the sets you buy. I don't have this problem."

eBay has everything you need. You can't recognise that. It doesn't help if you can't tell the difference between a metric socket set and a mixed metric/imperial socket set.

Reply to
Fredxx

Metric supersedes imperial.

No, I assumed everyone else would be up to speed by now. Clearly most of you are still living in the past.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In many cases, but not all.

You should assume your assumptions are likely to be wrong.

We live in the present, best that way instead of making stupid mistakes.

Reply to
Fredxx

Is that a yes? Perhaps you should consider having evening classes for numeracy.

Reply to
Fredxx

I've never had a lockable wheelnut, so I don't have direct experience of them, but I would assume they're all different? As in you can't open your neighbour's front door with your key. If you could undo your neighbour's wheelnut with your wheelnut key, then everyone could very easily steal each other's wheels, making them utterly pointless. So I assume the above link is to a tool which destroys the wheelnut lock. If they're anything like those pathetic tools which remove screws with burred heads, they won't work, those just make an even bigger mess of the screw, you're better with a big drill bit.

I thought all wheelnuts were 17mm until I bought a Peugeot (that took 5 attempts to get a word which was close enough to Peugeot for the spellchecker to recognise it!) The French don't do standards - my Renault is the only car I've ever had which refuses to communicate with any OBD reader except a Renault one (which I would have thought was illegal, if only for emissions standards, which is why they invented OBD). Luckily the nearest Renault garage plugs it in for free :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why are they selling 1000s of sets which are outdated?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Imperial has never superseded metric.

So people are slower/thicker than I thought. Figures.

If you use inches, you're in the past.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

+1, struggling today with a strange mixture of metric and imperial on my American ATV (with a Japanese engine, but badged Caterpillar).
Reply to
newshound

Why the f*ck would I want to perform a calculation for every single socket bit I pick up?

See the metric ones? They have ONE number on them, in numerical order. Clear to see that 16mm is one bigger than 15mm. It would be fine if 1/4 was called 8/32. If everything was in /32 then there would be a nice set of numbers from 1 to 32. But why have 1/4 followed by 9/32?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cars aren't the only thing people use sockets on.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I can understand American shit using imperial. Although I'm surprised it's also got metric on the same device!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So what's the reason cars have used metric for as long as I've been driving (since 1997 in a 1988 car) but not other things?

And I can't actually remember using a socket set on anything other than a car. Everything else tends to be screws with pozidrive or torx or allen keys etc. Bolts are for big stuff like er.... cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's because of all that whacky weed and neat alcohol you binge on every night.

Wrong, as always.

And washing machines, dishwashers and aircon and I got real radical and used dynabolts to block the dexion frames to the wall so they don't fall over, and to attach both sides of the gates to the block or brick walls, stupid.

2987fr

American is not imperial, I have metric, AF and whitworth spanners and metric and imperial allen keys.

Reply to
FMurtz

That is the point, American and some shall we say other countries, still use imperial stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maximum recommend air pressure 90 psi

?????