Impact Drivers

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

LOL I love that one. I will put it into the 'must use again' group at this end. :-)
Dave
through a haze of senile flatulence typed:

argument
I told you.
typed:

Right.
It is clear by what you write, that you only have half a clue at best. From the above link, which I have given already...
Cordless Impact Drivers vs. Cordless Drills - How Do They Compare?
"Although they look like a smaller replica, don't confuse a cordless impact driver with a standard cordless drill or hammerdrill. The biggest difference is inside. Unlike a cordless drill - which creates continuous in-line torque - a cordless impact driver uses an internal spring-loaded pulsating cam and gear mechanism to create rotational torque. In simple terms, the effect is similar to that of a hammer wrapping on a wrench to loosen a stubborn lug nut, only faster."
Cordless Impact Wrenches
"The basic difference between cordless impact drivers and cordless impact wrenches is the chuck configuration. Impact drivers have a chuck which accepts 1/4 inch hex-shank bits for screwdriving, drilling, and nut driving. A cordless impact wrench uses a 3/8 inch or a 1/2 inch square anvil primarily for driving impact sockets. In addition, the wrenches develop more torque. Today's cordless impact wrenches, like the ones from DeWALT, now have enough power to rival many corded electric wrenches, a big plus when you're up on a lift away from an outlet. The type of work you're doing will dictate which category to choose - driver or wrench. For example, if most of your work involves driving self tapping sheet metal screws or deck screws, an impact driver would be right for you. If most of your work involves driving large lag bolts or bolting pipe couplings, a dedicated cordless impact wrench would be a better choice. Although a cordless impact driver can be fitted with a socket adaptor, the larger square shaft of the impact wrench will prove more durable for heavy duty applications."
So, "Impact Divers", do hard driving and can do drilling too. Some have a detyachable chuck. One model is switchable from a dril/driver to an impact driver. Check drill specs before buying
Some "Impact Wrenchs" have fixed 3/8" or 1/2" shanks to take sockest ad the likes.
Some "Impact Drivers" may have 3/8 or 1/2 adaptors, so it can be used as both. The "drill/driver - Impact Driver" Panasonic can be used for all functions with suitable adaptors. Not cheap, but maybe worth it if all functions are used regularly.
Now you know, you can update the FAQ.

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was common knowledge. ;-)

They do. Page 634/635 of the current catalogue. Not indexed - Impact wrenches were which is how I found them.
"Impact mechanism uses rotary impacts to generate extremely high torque" is the description on the DeWalt jobbie. (Only 249.96.) Seems a bit odd asking the question in the first place when it is there in black and white but what would you expect from drivels brother?
--
Roger Chapman

contains these words:

seems half you lot are confusing two very different tools, and the intended use.
Impact drivers
Building/construction
screwfix
http://tinyurl.com/a3yw7
Mechanics automotive tools
screwfix
http://tinyurl.com/7asw8
since the OP also asked about Drywall Drivers its reasonable to assume the former.
-
through a haze of senile flatulence wrote these words:

what
Screwfix,
effort
intended
This is a good desciption: http://tinyurl.com/9htyt
Mark wrote:

Wow, what a thread when I came back. A good assumption, I did say drill, so it was the power drill. Thanks for all the links and explanations. If my drill/driver can't cope with large screws, then I use a mains drill. That always does it. These impact drivers appear to have the ability to ram in heavy screws without pilot holes all in one go. That would be handy and save me time too. They sound good. When the drill driver goes west I will definately go for one of these "impact driver drills".
A cheap drywall drill would be handy, as I consider that a luxury, as I don't board up all day.

Everyone else here seems to agree. Of course dribble doesn't use tools but only drools over them in catalogues. So it's no surprise he doesn't know even common stuff.

Ah - a very different thing.

I've got a 12 volt one which runs off the car battery. Can be useful for some things, although it's really meant for loosening wheel nuts after Kwik-Fit have been at them with their air tool set on kill. Didn't cost anything like 250 quid, though.
--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

flatulence wrote in message wrote more Rogerness:

** the senility must be snipped **
Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk typed:

NO. what you have is a 12v cigar lighter plug-in one of these http://tinyurl.com/8a45q A different tool completely, this is called an Impact Wrench. Notice the 1/2 square drive. the small battery Impact Drivers have a 1/4 _HEX_ drive to take a driver bit. FFS even Drivel know more about this then you.
-

Which is what I have, but without the cigar lighter plug. It's an impact wrench. If you hadn't snipped the text that would be clear. Here's the bit I was referring to.
******************
Subject: Re: Impact Drivers Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:05 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

They do. Page 634/635 of the current catalogue. Not indexed - Impact wrenches were which is how I found them.
********************
I'm not interested in what Screwfix call things - I'm quite clear what an impact driver and impact wrench are.

Then they should find a new name for it.

You appear to know little about common tools too.
--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

flatulence wrote in message wrote:> > >>> Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would

It is clear Richard here doesn't know what an impact driver is. As do most here on this thread.
** snip senility **
Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk typed

Its got nothing to do with screwfix, that's what the manufactures call them. Did you even bother to look at any of the links I provided, if you had you would realise that there is more then one tool on the market now called an Impact Driver with completely different intended use, and not to confuse either of the above with an Impact Wrench which you seem to be.

Why, most tradesmen seem to be able to cope with new tools and the resulting terminology even if you cant.

Quite possibly, but obviously considerably more then you, I think you should stick to bickering with drivel, and then I can safely put you back in my killfile.
-

I don't need to look at maker's websites to know what an impact driver is - and neither, apparently, do the vast majority of others replying to this thread. I don't give a toss if the name has been hi-jacked. An impact driver will continue to mean what it is. If you want to call it an impact drill driver that would be ok. But it's basically just an impact wrench with a different chuck.

In my 'trade' we make very sure not to call two different things by the same name. Would lead to all sorts of confusion... And the impact driver has been around for a very long time - long before cordless tools were invented.
Besides, this is a DIY group and we like to call things by their correct names. Or thingie, of course.

Why do you think anyone is interested about the contents of your killfile?
--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

You had to, as you didn't know, along with Essex Rummy.
** snip senile babble **

Basket weaving in the common room. They must stink of spit and dribble.

That is correct. And an Impact Driver is a power tool.
** snip senility **
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Still talking uncorrected English ballocks I see.
A powered impact tool is a power tool, but an impact driver is not.
I suggest you take some English lessons, quite a few in my opinion.
Dave

Fraid not. It is a power tool
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Electric, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, phantasmic. Let us know
Find your local school. It may be a primary, or secondary, and enlist in one of their basic English classes. You will be surprised at how low your English languish educational level is.
Dave
(in another post)

Who?
Anyway, lots of people 'like' stamps.

Are you still languishing in one?
(glass houses; throw; stones)
Dave snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com typed:

I don't normally do the spelling auntie as my own is often somewhat lacking, but in this case...... *English languish*
ROFLOL
-