Impact Drivers

To add and FWIW I bought my first Impact Driver in 1970 when Japanese motorcycles started to become common the Phillips screws on these were impossible to remove without this tool. The term *Driver* has always referred to a screwing function so I don't think it that unreasonable now that an Impact function has been added to a drill/Driver but with only a screw bit chuck that it should be called an Impact Driver. YMMV

-
Reply to
Mark

The message from "Mark" contains these words:

Not both types. I tend only to buy tools I need and I am as yet not totally infirm. ;-)

Reply to
Roger

Amazing. Yet he knows all the answers and proclaims to know all about the these tools. The fact he had never heard of them until this thread, that is clear.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can't believe anyone would write such pedantic tripe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In the cold light of day, when I read your reply, stone cold sober, I tend to agree with you :-)

Thanks Chris, for pointing it out

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Then you must be the C.E.O.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

This is a load of crap. So there's an impact driver which is a heavy thing with a square drive on one end which takes sockets or screwdriver bits, or presumably allen bits & so on. I've had one for ages. It's an impact driver. Now I learn that there's another electric driver called an impact driver. Fine! Where's the problem? They're easy enough to distinguish between, I should have thought. Take spanners, for instance. Before ring spanners, there were just the open ended sort. Someone invented ring spanners. Still a bloomin' spanner, isn't it. No-one went around muttering darkly "These new spanners should thingummies, if you say spanner no-one'll know what you're talking about"...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I have to ask :-)

When did we Brits start to use the term 'wrench' in matters that did not signify something like a wrenched muscle? Merkins call a spanner a wrench. Are we in danger here, of using Merkin words that mean something different to what we were brought up to understand in the UK? Perhaps this is where some of us differ in our opinion as to what each tool is called.

If it has either a 1/4 or 1/2 square dive, this does not change its description, only the torque that it can cope with.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
Dave

:-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well WTF do you keep on and on about it?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Still talking uncorrected English ballocks I see.

A powered impact tool is a power tool, but an impact driver is not.

I suggest you take some English lessons, quite a few in my opinion.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes. Certification for Every One of them.. You are obviously the secretary.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh! Abstrads, those.... the number of rounded-out heads caused by people who hadn't an impact driver was immense. However, over-enthusiasm could lead to broken castings!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Can't you recognise senile madness?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

*stone cold sober?* I've just put some coal on the fire, & I'm trying to bash the lid off another bottle.... What can I use to repair the edges of a melamine-coated "computer desk"? (not a serious request, it'll only get chipped again!).
Reply to
Chris Bacon

C.E.O.?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's dumbing down (sic), ain't it. Examples abound here.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Then that sums up your useful contribution to this thread, its only argument for the sake of it now as you are pontificating on a tool that you have never used, seen, of even heard of two days ago.

*PLONK* again

-

Reply to
Mark

Try screwing metal studding together with a conventional 18v drill/driver for a few weeks and you soon will be.

-
Reply to
Mark

What you have to remember, is that Europe populated the biggest English speaking continent in the world. The fact that their language did not develop in the same way and as fast as true English, shows up in several ways. Take the word got, we used to use gotten (my speel chucker wanted to change this word), but dropped that quite some time ago. What did the Merkins do? They stuck to olde English.

All the above manufacturers you quote, have suffered the same problem. The dominance of the good old US of A in all terminology. Hence the wrong words used, for what we Brits would consider, a powered impact driver. Their description comes out as an impact driver. Obviously determined by the Merkins.

Think about how the trades description act would apply to all this.

Dave

Reply to
Dave