Impact Drivers

They can fix small screws.

They can be used up a ladder, as these trades tend to use ladders:

"The new cordless impact tools are designed for professionals on the job site and in the shop including HVAC installers, garage door installers, sprinkler fitters, general contractors, elevator mechanics, electricians, steel framers, carpenters, and automotive mechanics who want faster productivity for their fastening and driving applications"

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm sure it will be a drill.

** snip confused senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I've never needed one, as every time I need one, I always find a way around it, using screwdriver bits held in a 3/8" adaptor, tapping + plus gas + a lot of pressure.

Since then i've also bought an air impact wrench.

That's not to say a manual one wouldn't be useful though to a self confessed tool-a-holic.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed with limited product range.

Oh I see.

While I wouldn't suggest that an 18v Ryobi tool is on a par with a 12v product from a manufacturer, and I would probably say that an 18v Ryobi tool is likely to have better batteries than a Fermerbauer Champion Devil; it is not reasonable to assume that 18v Ryobi product means very much in terms of performance.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I see. So nobody else should buy one in that case...

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think you miss the point, these (cordless impact screwdrivers) are specifically designed for installing and removing screws (particularly woodscrews) at great speed without the need for pilot holes in most cases. I also use them on screws on engine cases etc.

The impact driver you mean (I believe) is the sort used commonly for undoing door hinge screws on cars etc. A better alternative for those is the air chisel mounted screwdriver. Snap on sell them and they are amazing at removing even the most horribly rusted in screw (and very cheap!).

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was common knowledge. ;-)

They do. Page 634/635 of the current catalogue. Not indexed - Impact wrenches were which is how I found them.

"Impact mechanism uses rotary impacts to generate extremely high torque" is the description on the DeWalt jobbie. (Only £249.96.) Seems a bit odd asking the question in the first place when it is there in black and white but what would you expect from drivels brother?

Reply to
Roger

Matt, no. Wickes is geared for the trade. Go in one one day.

That is encouraging.

Matt, you made all that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, certainly not you, as you can hurt yourself.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

seems half you lot are confusing two very different tools, and the intended use.

Impact drivers

Building/construction

screwfix

automotive tools

screwfix

the OP also asked about Drywall Drivers its reasonable to assume the former.

-
Reply to
Mark

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com brought next idea :

It is a screwdriver for tightening and loosening extremely tight screws, often used in engineering and mechanical trades. They usually take the form of a holder with interchangable bits for different screw types/sizes. They are designed to be hit with a hammer, when a short spiral imparts a sharp turning force upon the screw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Everyone else here seems to agree. Of course dribble doesn't use tools but only drools over them in catalogues. So it's no surprise he doesn't know even common stuff.

Ah - a very different thing.

I've got a 12 volt one which runs off the car battery. Can be useful for some things, although it's really meant for loosening wheel nuts after Kwik-Fit have been at them with their air tool set on kill. Didn't cost anything like 250 quid, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think it has been dermined that it is not hit with a hammer as it costs £250.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

senile flatulence wrote these words:

Doctor Drivel

You do not recognize a descriptive and accurate definition, when it hits you in the face.

Having worked in engineering for over 40 odd years, an impact driver is as Dave describes. You whack it with a hammer and it puts a turning motion on the object of your desires.

If a manufacturer wants to introduce an electrically driven one, then the name should suggest that it is electrically driven. i.e. Electrically driven impact driver.

Impact means that it gets impacted. It does not specify by what means the impact takes place. Air driven impact drivers have been in use at most garages for as long as I can remember, but they are called air driven impact guns, when described by their Sunday name ;-)

Get it?

Case closed

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Where?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It happens that Doctor Drivel formulated :

So it seems, but nothing to stop you still hitting it with a hammer :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not so. He mentioned an impact driver and then went onto mention drills that have impact settings on them. A different thing.

By the way, how old are you?

You should be OK when you are 5 years old :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Now we learn that they are not simply an impact tool, but a cordless impact tool.

Sheesh, do you not understand the English language?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have. They are not "geared for the trade".

They are a linsey-woolsey organisation if ever I saw one - sort of being a DIY outlet but having a limited range, and sort of being a trade outlet but again having a limited range of mediochre quality things - e.g. the timber and the tools.

You had better ask Matt about that.

It's pretty obvious that one major cost element is batteries and the other is the mechanics and design, material and quality control thereof.

Given that reality, it isn't that hard to figure out that you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Andy Hall