Immersion Thermostat

Called to look at my daughter's hot water today. Found the thermostat safety trip had cut off the power. They said it had been scalding hot and they tended to switch it off to prevent it overheating!

The thermostat seems to be working now. The body is blue - it looks like the one in the Screwfix Website.

I seem to think that one turns it anticlockwise to increase the temp. I believe we had thought that would decrease the temp. It seem counter intuitive to me.

Brand of installed thermostat is Backer

DerbyBorn

I think mine works the wrong way too, However I'm told it is in fact marked correctly with arrows and temps on the top, which is a good thing! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The picture linked in the OPs posts shows no actual temperatures, just lines, but it does have plus and minus marks to show that anticlockwise increases temperature.

There are some identical looking thermostats on Ebay where there is no indication at all on which way to turn to decrease temperature.

Reply to
alan_m

I have now seen some illustrations of the same thermostat which show ablob of white silicone or similar to lock it in position. Presumably sold as a pre-set device.

The one in question has no numbers or other indications - other than lines.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

From memory (it is some time since I changed or adjusted one), I'd expect clockwise to increase the temp. However, I do recall that the last time I changed one, the setting was preset, fixed with some gunge (silicone?) and even after removing the silicone, adjusting seemed to make minimal difference.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Definately getting an adjustement - it had been too hot - now it is hand hot. Need to increment it up a bit at a time then stick it with something.

Reply to
DerbyBorn