Imitation Wago parts on toolstation.com

When you search toolstation.com for 'wago', you get a bunch of connectors that look like Wago ones, but none of the pages actually say "Wago". I was going to ask here if anyone knows what they are, but I noticed this review on one of them:

????? 1 out of 5 stars. · 4 months ago Poor quality

Bought these thinking they were a Wago Connector....How wrong I was. The spring levers are weaker than Wago The plastic housing seems a cheaper quality to Wago I'm not taking a chance fitting these. Sending them back for refund

? No, I do not recommend this product.

(The ones I have bought from Screwfix are the real thing.)

Reply to
Adam Funk
<snip>

I had a quick look but couldn't see any reference to Wago on that item so were you being fair to expect the same quality of a clone at what is bound to be a lower price?

On eBay they often refer to them as 'Wago style connectors'. ;-)

You get the same thing with the Anderson connector range, or anything really where someone makes a copy of something using cheaper components. ;-)

'Buyer beware'? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As far as the original question goes, I don't think Toolstation are doing anything unacceptable by showing these items in a search for Wago, though clearly the search results ought to make clear whether the items are genuing Wago or not.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

JW tested some chinesium not-wago connectors and found them ok, bigclive found a different type of non-wago that wago themselves really should copy ...

Andy Burns

I have my doubts about the long term safety of the Wago approach for structural wiring of mains wire. The nature of the join suggests that over time any vibration in the building will loosen the connection with the concomitant fire risk.

AIUI, because of a similar loosening problem, aluminium is no longer permitted in Yankland (although then it is aluminum)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

If they are actually counterfeit then trading standards need to know if not then toolstation need to advertise them as something else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

they don't claim to be wago, not sure if they breach any designs belonging to wago, if you search for wago on the toolstation site, they return dozens of types of connectors, not just the ones similar to wagos.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gobble, gobble, Jimmy boy.

Reply to
Bernie

Aren't screw terminals more likely to work loose that way?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I agree. What I find objectionable is that there's nothing on the product pages to tell you that they are another brand.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That's a useful-looking design. I buy stuff from Aliexpress (especially oscillating tool blades) but I'd be reluctant to do my mains wiring from it.

Reply to
Adam Funk
<snip>

When looking at adverts I try to take into account everything, including what it doesn't say.

I do so because it's very easy to assume it *is* what you hope it to be, what you want ... and then you might be disappointed when you find out it isn't (or not ... if it does all you require and at a proportional cost etc).

The time I'm most likely to do that is when trying to hunt something down on say eBay, thinking I've found one that is 'loads' cheaper than all the rest, buying it, only to find it's the wrong / inferior model, looking back at the listing and finding it stating exactly what it was and that I had overlooked in my 'keenness'. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They do not say they are Wagos or even claim they are "Wago type connectors" they do not need to specify the manufacturer it is like a lot of things to the casual customer it looks like a Wago so therefore in their mind it is and Toolsatan will not be too upset that people think like that, but it is a lesson to be more discerning when making purchases.

Looking at the 10 pack pricing there is not much difference in the unit price from the genuine article at Screwfix except if you do not need 50 there is a saving in buying them in quantities of 10.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I think that's what they're counting on!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Yeah, I ended up getting the real thing from Screwfix. I don't mind having a pile of them in stock in the house for when I need them.

Toolstation is more convenient for me (closer to home) but Screwfix works too.

Reply to
Adam Funk

And tested a few more not-wagos

Andy Burns