Ice road truckers

Jules wrote on Jan 22, 2010:

You've missed the point. They are saying just the opposite here! "Turn the headlamps ON prior to starting the car"

Reply to
Mike Lane

On, not off. Opposite of kid-logic.

Reply to
Clive George

The message from Jules contains these words:

Heh, I haven't seen these. The ones I've seen usually screwed in to the drain plug hole or a separate threaded hole. Must find out if I can get hold of one of those that attach magnetically. Any suggested suppliers?

Proably if the sump heater is working the block is warm enough to keep the battery at a reasonable temperature if it's under the bonnet/hood. Canadian Tire used to have both pad and blanket varieties as standard items 30 years ago.

Reply to
Appin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Appin saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon

How the hell do you think transport with internal combustion engines works in the polar regions?

It's a case of what cold? It's only relative, the conditions are known about well in advance and any 'problems' are catered for before the vehicle design even leaves the drawing board.

You don't have to resort to lighting fires under engine sumps, you can buy oil off the shelf here in the UK that will circulate effectively at below -40 degC/F. On the engine and transmission front, synthetics have been around for many decades that cope with just about any temperatures the driver can survive in from -60C to +60 degC. The oil, if chosen correctly isn't *ever* a problem. even in polar regions with conditions far more extreme than those mentioned on ice road truckers?

A number of cars in use in Europe, and in particular those that are exported to the USA or Canada will have undergone extensive low temperature testing, that includes gaining access to and starting the vehicle at circa -40 deg C. Temperatures at which miniscule amounts of moisture can bond metal to door seals and where human skin to metal contact can result in serious damage.

Reply to
Mike