iCare data recovery

On free offer today only,

geoff

In article , geoff writes

Reply to
fred

Appears to be still working this morning at 0730ish - time zone in the pacific I suppose....

Charles F

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

it involves downloading and running an .exe file, from this unknown overseas site. Is this a bad idea, or am I just overly paranoid?

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Charles Fearnley" wrote in message news:4ed5df6d$0$2491$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Still there now.. but, my download tool warns me that its something it doesn't know about and isn't a common download so be careful. The tool is quite good as it knows what common stuff is, even stuff like registax.

Reply to
dennis

How else do you install software?

It's very rare to download any sort of working application with a virus in; infected exe's on web sites are usually nothing but a launch vehicle from sites that promise anything you're looking for.

Infected, functional exe's mostly come from file sharing sites.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

It never does any harm to be cautious. I noticed that the site had poor English and tended towards the woooo scary approach to marketing so I was planning to have a google about the reputation of the software and submit the file to an online multi provider virus scanner.

Here are the ones I use:

(43 diff AV engines, usually faster)

(20 diff AV engines and usually busy)

Both are well thought of and submit the file to multiple antivirus engines.

Looks like others have been caution too as it has already been submitted to Jotti, result here:

virustotal, result here:

as another has said, most installers are exes.

Btw, virustotal is v slow today, jotti used to be a bit under-resourced but it seems to have had an upgrade.

Reply to
fred