I'm running out of Turbo Ultra screws - are there alternatives?

snip

I accidentally replied direct to the poster before posting properly. Thunderbird has a 'Reply' button that does this - I'd like to get rid of it.

Reply to
RJH

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. I have a separate newsreader and e-mail program.

Reply to
Chris Green

Right click on the button bar and select customise. Drag the reply button off the bar and into the palette.

(note there are three flavours of Reply that can reply to group, reply to group and poster direct, or reply just to poster direct. Only the first one is much use typically)

Reply to
John Rumm

Here are samples of my screws used outdoors, they are somewhere between 5 and 10 years old from looking at the dates I bought various types of screw:-

While the non-stainless ones are not totally knackered they aren't going to be good in a few more years are they? You can see the stainless one really has been used because there's some bits of wood stuck in the thread.

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks, John.

Near the end, he shows a gate hinge with seemingly unrusted screws in it.

We have an almost identical hinge on our gate. Two or three screws are look ing horribly rusty. The rest look untouched - just like in the video. I did n't fit it, but all the screws look identical. And it reflects my real-worl d experience. Some rust and some don't - even from the same batch.

The high position of his test screws would tend to dry out in a way that on e near the ground on a fence post might never.

Does the material screwed through make a difference? Some sort of electroly tic effect when through a metal object?

Does it make a difference if you had to use an impact driver to get the scr ew in which might cause much more damage to any plating? It might only be if the particular screw/wood combo was especially tough. Which just possibl y might explain some being bad and others not.

Four years ago, I used some decking screws. Brownish ones (make? no idea no w). They look as new. So, when I had to make another bit of decking, I used similar ones (though this time, green).

While we might hate the look of rusty screws, I know I do, it seems feasibl e that using, say, a 6mm silver or gold screw might take very much longer t o rust to the point of failure than a similar 4mm screw. Yet be less expens ive than a 4mm stainless.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I would expect it to have some effect - especially on woods like Oak with high tannin content.

Can't say I have noticed a difference on the screw. You are possibly less likely to chew up the head with an ID.

Were your failing ones "goldscrews"? (I have not used those in any quantity), but I have found the quicksilver twinthreads seem to last well.

They are usually passivated and then have an extra finish for colour matching. That probably gives them a bit more protection.

When using 4mm, I like the Reisser "cutter" screws - those seem much stronger than the turbo gold, and have a much tougher finish.

Reply to
John Rumm