hydro electric

Together they may be able to supply 27GWh of energy, but can only supply

2.8GW of power, so couldn't keep the lights on, you'd have a burnt-out electric mountain if it tried to supply the 45GW of demand that exists right now.
Reply to
Andy Burns

How what was planned, the Tesla system or the state grid ?

I thought it was to even

No, the problem was black starts. That avoids black starts when the very high percentage of renewables sees nothing keeping the grid going in the worst case situations like when the interconnect to Victoria fails and the wind systems shut down to protect themselves in very high wind situations.

That's what caused the full state wide blackout for days and the problem with doing a black start in that situation.

Reply to
87213

I remember that scheme, using e.g. steel for the weights may have 8x the density of water, but by putting the weights on tracks you limit the mass you can store in a given area.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought the tesla battery was in reaction to, and to prevent a recurrence of this?

The wiki article doesn't mention black start.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Jim GM4DHJ ... a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

Sorry for the OT. What is the part of English homes that have no water meters ? For a French this seems unbeliveable. May be it's true that it rains a lot overthere after all. lol

Reply to
bilou

Correct.

Yes, whoever wrote that got that wrong.

Reply to
Drag Queen fucker

Water meters were very unusual in houses up to about 25 years ago.

The price paid for the water was based very loosely on the value of the house.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Indeed, I was not suggesting that this was a national scale storage solution. Mearley highlighting that Dinorwig gets all the recognition, there are other players.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed - as with many proposed storage solutions they wither comically when exposed to the forensic probing analysis of, erm, arithmetic!

Given its not unusual to have in effect no wind due to an area of high pressure centred over Europe that can last several days in the winter, while the output from solar is approaching the cube root of f all, you also have to wonder how one will have the spare generating capacity to "charge" these storage systems if they existed, while also meeting the current demand for power.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not seen Gilbert before; his comment was dated some 16 months after the original Scottish Scientist post, so I probably missed it first time around.

Gilbert's comments are given in a bit more detail here

He contends that the following sites are useable for pumped storage (assuming the table works out OK)

annual storage pumped output capacity storage (GWh) (%) potential (GWh)

Errochty 103 15.5 16 Glasgarnock 103 23 23 Luichart 124 30.7 38 Clunie 143 27.5 40 Fannich 83 83.3 70 Rannoch 111 37 41 Fasnakyle 250 31.5 78 Tummel 92 41 38 Ben Lawers 71 17 12 Nantes 89 54 48 Invermoriston 75 30 22 Invergarry 102.5 40 41 Quoich 68 40 27 Sloy 130 15.5 20 Total 1544.5 514

Impressive numbers, but he's a bit short on detail as to how they're arrived at. Apparently they were based on plans drawn up by the North of Scotland Hydro Board Annual Reports from 1946 to 1952, with appropriate technical data.

Loch Sloy is the only one I recognise. It was a plain hydroelectric station, due to be converted to a 60MW pumped storage scheme supplying

200GWh/yr to the grid. But I can't find the actual storage capacity (i.e. how long it can run continuously before Loch Sloy goes dry) to see how his numbers compare with reality. Work was due to start in 2012 and be completed in 2015, but I can find no more about it. Perhaps it was shelved. Many links on the net; this one gives a fair summary
I also note there's no mention of Coire Glas pumped storage scheme. Mearns reviews it and is not impressed.
don't seem to be pushing it very hard. Perhaps the Loch Sloy scheme was also re-examined by SSE and they decided it wasn't worth it.

One problem ATM with massive pumped storage in Scotland is getting the power to where it's needed, i.e. down to England. When there's a lot of wind energy available in Scotland, the existing Scottish wind farms are sometimes paid not to generate, simply because the existing N-S transmission lines don't have the capacity to carry the power. The Western Link sub-sea cable down through the Irish Sea will help solve this.

Chris Hogg

Simple - you'd need double the generating capacity, and probably also significant upgrading of the transmission system to carry the extra power. Funny how it doesn't get much of a mention!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Cruachan was built at the same time as Hunterston (I think) nuclear site to absorb the overnight surplus energy. i suspect the same applied to Dinorwik. If we have no nuclear, then there's no overnight surplus (except some possible wind or tidal). I

Reply to
charles

It coimes as a total surprise to Leftards that people have actually done all of the sums on most of te technology that is conatslty being proposed by greentards as a solution to te nixeistent prtoblem of CO2 emissions.

They seem to think that if a renewable energy solution way chea[per and more reliable than say coal existed, no one would have, for profit, implemented it and driven coal out of business.

The total lack of understanding of market forces, capital and economics is reflected in their childlike desire to remain in the European [dis]Union.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In teh end bfoer energy waqs pliticised, pumped storage was assesed on a pure cost benefitr basis.

Dinorig saved building one 1.2GW power station that wouuld have run at rather low capacity factor to do evening peak following.

One North Sea gas came in big time there really wasnt much justification for mopre pumped storage as fast start gas turbine technology was a bit cheaper overall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And they mine pixie dust at the top and carry it down to help things out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. I calculated that all the summer solar energy could be stored by pumping out loch ness to aboyt 500 feet deep (or damming it and gfilling it that deep) in summer and letting it fill (or empoty) with seawater in winter.

Howber te environmmental damage and cost is many times what 15 nuclear power stations would cost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vir Campestris a exprimé avec précision :

Many thanks for this information. In France at first meters were inside the house. Then they were buried 1m deep outside to avoid frost and allow reading when the house was unoccupied. Now they are getting "clever" with a buried battery powered 864MHz transmitter. lol Prices vary a lot . A very complicated situation IMHO.

Reply to
bilou

Congratulations on reading the OP. I ask again, do you have a point? Or are you, like 99% of the time, just wasting others' time?

Reply to
tabbypurr

most of us have unmetered water. And yes, a lot of rain!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dinorwig is at least pretty, in a satanic mills sort of way.

Reply to
Roger Hayter