Humax remote stopped working

+1

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Look at through a smart phone camera and you can see the signal on the screen.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Humax might point out that that is entirely consistent with you (or anyone else with access to the remote) having (accidentally or otherwise) having held down said three buttons for several seconds and then entered a different code. But I expect you'd have to make a real nuisance of yourself before they asked your age and when you last had a memory assessment :)

Reply to
Robin

I find Humax to make good kit which always seems to have one massive design flaw which never gets fixed.

on my Humax you could put custom firmware on the box which enabled you to get an app for your phone to do the remote actions, it always worked even when the remote stopped working

Reply to
Gordy

Last used by my darling wife. I explained several times that she needs to switch off the recorder and the TV. She knows which buttons to press. For reasons I cannot understand, she insists on pressing them both together, rather than sequentially. Until now, that hadn't caused a problem, other than one or other of the gadgets staying on. I suspect that this wasn't a use case that was subject to much testing by Humax.

Reply to
GB

This was easily the biggest cause of callbacks when I used to sell Humax.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Unfortunately they generally have filters that stop IR these days, because without such the colour balance used to be affected.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

An old one!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Not if it has an anti IR filter which I think all modern ones do.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The PVR remote will usually remember which model of TV it's configured for when you change the batteries, so it must have non-volatile memory which could prevent it being reset. The original One For All had to have the batteries removed for a long time before it lost all its codes. The reprogramming would fail after a time, or maybe after it had been reprogrammed too many times.

Reply to
Max Demian

We have a Humax (FVP-4000T) that we no longer use. It could have been a very good system, except that it had bugs and poor design choices:

It was slow - often resulting in us pressing buttons numerous times and then shooting too far and selecting the wrong thing.

It was non-intuitive - when deleting a number of items, it would sometimes move the focus to the item above after deletion and sometime to the item below, making deleting rapidly a slow and careful progress ... and there was no way to turn off confirming each one in turn. Okay, you could select a number, but it is far simpler when deleting 4 or 5 to just keep hitting the individual delete.

The box locked up randomly, missing recording and requiring a power restart.

The associated H3 streaming box was 50/50 over whether it could connect when turned on - often requiring both boxes to be rebooted ... not good when the main box is mid-recording.

When scrolling through the list of recordings, you could not read the description of the programme unless you selected it and then you had to back up to continue down the list - other boxes simply display the description of whatever programme on the list you are currently on.

It was an okay box, that with better software, particularly the user interface, could have been great.

Reply to
Steve Walker

So what's so much better that allowed you to ditch the Humax?

I agree about many of its deficiencies but I've yet to see anything that's a whole lot better.

Reply to
Chris Green

We switched to open, Linux based satellite receivers, running OpenVix - very handy as they can share a single disk, allowing them all to play recordings that another box made and even to use each other's tuners if their own are busy. There are still a few niggles and catch-up has almost stopped working - but the TVs can do that bit themselves. I must look for a replacement add-on for that.

Reply to
Steve Walker

So has the Toshiba

Reply to
bert

That was certainly the marketing spiel. But it all ended acrimoniously and in tears. This paper predates the point where things started to go wrong. But makes a clear distinction between what was formally proven to be correct and what was asserted to be proven correct.

It is often hardware failure or CPU glitches that catch you out. It is hard for a CPU that finds its program counter memory mapped into ROM! TI99xx series had all of its registers including the PC in ram.

Reply to
Martin Brown

But batterieswhen left often have a habit of "recovering" for a short period.

Reply to
alan_m

This used to be the standard way of checking if the IR LED was flashing but some phone cameras now have a IR blocking filter and will not detect the IR LED on their main camera - on some of these IR filtered phones the forward looking "selfie" will still detect the IR LED.

Reply to
alan_m

So the remote crashes, reboots when the voltage is high enough and either works for a bit or dies when you try and use it. The batteries are dead anyway, so you've lost nothing.

Reply to
Steve Walker