HP/Compaq laptop battery and/or charger problem

Pure L-ion battery physics says that a 5 year old 'new' battery will have a lower capacity than the same battery freshly manufactured.

The most expensive remanufactured (fresh cells) battery for this Acer

4315 was $100. You saved $60 over your 6 years. So for pennies a month you will put up with a lower capacity battery?
Reply to
AJL

True, but my 5 year old batteries have 80% or better capacity. Age doesn't seem to effect capacity very much. Although heat and the number of recharges does.

Like you said, who wants a battery to last 12 years? By then, I have lost interest in a laptop that old. The only exception is my Palm IIIc which happens to be 12 years old now. The first lithium battery lasted about 6 years and this second one is now 6 years old and it is still going strong (it is also one of those cheap aftermarket ones too).

Reply to
BillW50

I have never bought a replacement for a failed laptop battery. There was always something newer and better that I wanted before the battery wore out. Wasteful I know, but fun nevertheless... ;)

How can you stand to use that thing? Compared to a modern smartphone (my Palm replacement) it must be very painful... 8-O

Reply to
AJL

It should be perfectly able to manage 10 years and more, what usually makes old machines unusable is people putting ill suited OSes and apps on them. Linux Antix or Puppy should run very well on such machines.

NT

Reply to
NT

Besides the Palm IIIc I haven't either. But I do buy spare batteries for my laptops and netbooks right away. ;-)

Well I still use the address book and the date book. I also use it for grocery shopping list and to store game cheats. It is kind of like having a flash drive with a touch screen. ;-)

Reply to
BillW50

That Palm IIIc has 8 *Meg* of memory, right? Ah Bill you have to update a little. With a smartphone, instead of an 8 Meg flashdrive with a screen you could have a 24 Gig (or more) flashdrive with a touch screen and a laptop built in... ;)

Reply to
AJL

Mines only got 16G of flash built in, but it does have a microSD slot so I can add another 32G. There isn't much you can use it for other than videos/photos or so much music you will never be able to play it all.

The 1G of RAM is more useful as navigation software and voice recognition works so much better when it has enough RAM.

Reply to
dennis

Yup, 8MB soldered on the motherboard without any expansion slot. And 8MB is huge for shopping lists and game cheats. ;-)

Smartphone? Naw... cellular signals don't work well where I live. They only work well when I run into town.

Anyway I rather use a netbook rather than a smartphone for apps and data stuff. Bigger keyboard and larger screen too. ;-)

Reply to
BillW50

Much thanks NT. ;-)

Reply to
BillW50

My phone has 8G internal flash + a 16G micro SD = 24G.

I do keep all my music (6G), all my ebooks (2G), and all my photos (11G) on my phone and it's always with me. It's nice to have access to the *whole* library and it also serves as my off site backup.

Reply to
AJL

My first Palm was 2 Meg and I got along just fine with it. Now I can't imagine how I ever got along on such a pittance... ;)

No need for cell signals if you don't want a phone. When you put a smartphone in Airplane Mode they are really just a PDA with laptop (and WiFi) capabilities. Check EBay for some good used prices. A new toy for you to check out...

Use both. You do now (your netbook and your Palm).

Reply to
AJL

Unless it remains off site all the time its not really going to serve as off site. You can be sure that the fire/flood/lightning strike will happen while they are together if the data is valuable.

Reply to
dennis

The Palm IIIc was what I consider my first PDA. Although it really wasn't. I bought two really cheap PDAs before that. They were under 40 bucks brand new. They had some PIM stuff, but that is it.

But the Palm IIIc cost over 300 bucks. And if I remember right, it was the first color PDA. I *love* tech things that was the first. Later I bought a GPS for the Palm (this was before cheap GPS gadgets). Although it was really made for the Palm IIIxe and not the IIIc. At the time, I thought the xe was the black and white version and the c was the color version. Well it is kind of true to a point. And anything that ran on the xe would also run on the c.

As the c was a tad longer from top to bottom. And this GPS clipped on from top to bottom. So I could make it work if I held them together just right. But not very practical. So I bought a xe just for the GPS.

I learned there was more differences too. It only had 2MB of memory and ran off of two AAA batteries. As I liked the color display so much better and the chargeable lithium battery on the c. And I gave up on the GPS and the xe soon afterwords. But I kept using the c to this very day. ;-)

Oh okay. I'll add that to my todo list on my c. No seriously, it sounds interesting.

Oh great! ;-)

As a side note: When I was younger, I was *big* on the latest and the greatest. Although as I age, what seems more important is collecting devices that were noteworthy and important for their time. I dunno, maybe it is just watching the clock tick along or something. :-(

Reply to
BillW50

That is so true Dennis. And while I keep some stuff off site (not as much as I should). My data really doesn't have a lot of monetary value. As heaven forbid that my house burns right into the ground someday. And all of my devices and data are no more. Yes that would be heartbreaking and all, but that is nothing compared that I don't have a house anymore. I dunno, but I think most would feel the same.

Reply to
BillW50

Hm... I am contemplating to dump my second backup usb seagate disk elsewhere. Privacy concerns stopping me at the moment :)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Oh that is something else entirely. Some people like something that wipes the disk and that is good enough. And I feel overwriting it with DVDs or whatever is good enough. But it is still possible for the determined to still pull the old information off.

Okay it is. And I hear people like the FBI or the CIA can and probably the most seasoned hackers can too. Well in my case, I don't think any of them are that interested in my stuff to go through all of the trouble. As they are not going to get anything that is that exciting anyway.

But if you think you have something that interesting to those people. Then take a 20 pound mallet and smash it to pieces. Yeah given enough money and resources, nothing is impossible. But is it worth it? ;-)

Reply to
BillW50

Tssk... The dumping elswhere was for backup, I want it back in case of emergency or update!! :) But some of my friends might like to browse my backup, and I am not sure I would like that......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You can always rebuild a house

and I have an 8TB server at home and at work that mutually back each other up (problem there for dennis , who is ... no longer employed)

The loss here would be photographs, slides, cassettes and vinyl

far too lazy to back up / scan all that lot in

Reply to
geoff

... How paranoid are you ?

Reply to
geoff

When I'm off site my data is off site (unless I forget my phone).

My music, ebooks, and photos are important to me but not valuable.

Reply to
AJL