Hozelock AC1 hose timer - service/repair?

I've just dug out a long unused Hozelock AC1 automatic watering timer. The internal valve actuator seems to work, making the expected noise, but the valve only partially closes.

I can't see service details on the Hozelock site. I've posted a query but have not yet had confirmation that it has been accepted....ah, yes it has. Response in 3-5 working days.

I am wondering it the internals are easy to get at and no ping/fuckit traps for the unwary.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David

doesn't look too pingfuckitty

totally different from the claber ones, which use solenoid valves and magnets.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't rate the Hozelock timers that highly. I've had 2 and both have had water ingress to the pcb compartment that have damaged the pcb and although I've repaired both* they both failed mechanically shortly afterwards.

I've had longer life from cheap £15 timers from Ebay - but have noticed recently that although the body remains the same the the controls have morphed from two mechanical rotary switches to a LCD panel and push buttons. have now morphed.

*I also drilled a drainage hole in the corner of the casing housing the PCB to prevent a reoccurrence of the problem.

The OP may find that the flow of water is a lubricant to get the valve to fully close

Reply to
alan_m

Someone stripping apart your timer...

alan_m

Not quite the same timer, but similar. The video shows inserting a table knife into the space between two bits of grey plastic. I've cautiously tried this but nothing seems to want to move and I'm reluctant to use excessive force.

I've had a response from Hozelock customer support suggesting applying a bit of vegetable oil to the top of the valve. I've responded asking how to take the top off to do this.

We shall see.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I seem to remember having to do this. I find something like a butter knife works for this type of box. The blade of the butter knife being straight allows pressure to be put on the complete side of the box - perhaps wiggling it a bit to alternate the pressure first to the top of the join and then the bottom. With a butter knife the spine side of the blade may work better

The video obviously shows a unit that had been opened before and not being opened for the first time

Reply to
alan_m

I have two slots, grey to grey and grey to yellow. [Either side of the thin grey bit.] The grey to yellow is deeper and shows flexibility. However this doesn't mean that this is the join to lever safely!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Response from Hozelock says that adding a little vegetable oil from the top does not involve taking the unit apart - it should just be applied through the hose connector.

Will give that a go.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David
<snip>

Hurrah!

The vegetable oil (rapeseed) did the trick and the timer is now working again.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David